Hill of Arrows

Today I have got very little planned.
After a think at the kitchen table with a bucket of coffee, I decided to clear the cupboard in my bedroom that leads up to the attic.
When my little Bathroom man arrives , he will need access up there to put in an electric shower.
The whole cupboard was crammed with junk.
A broken Lloyd loom laundry basket, a broken lampshade, old papers and moulding eiderdown, the usual crap you hide away from sight …everything was thrown into the front garden much to the surprise of locals walking up and down the lane.
In a rather dusty old suitcase I found a photocopied publication dating from 1910. I have no recollection of having it.


Tucked behind the Welsh text was a translation of the this book which was described as thus

This is the winning Essay

Submitted for the Newmarket Eisteddfod

Held on the 1st August 1910

Written in welsh by R.T Williams ( pseudonym Trevor Mon)

Entitled

“ Newmarket, it’s Antiquity, Biography and Present History”


For those that don’t know Newmarket is the old name for Trelawnyd.

I fell into a few hours of reading, sat in the window seat of my bedroom. The book sharing the history of the village from as far back as the Welsh tribes who lived on the land before the Romans arrived.

It’s a fascinating read and much of the information within its pages was new to me. The old, ancient names of hills that surround the village interested me the most. Bryn Y Saethau ( Hill of Arrows) , Bryn Y Lladdfa ( The Hill Of Slaughter) and Bryn Y Coaches ( Hill Of The War Chariots) all conjure up ancient battles and folklore 

The text also features biographies on local ( men) from the turn of the century as well as detailed descriptions of local houses and their histories, forays into local folklore, and discussions about Marriages  and everyday life of an Edwardian Welsh Village.

I’m happy to provide anyone local who is interested in reading this essay a copy . All I ask is that they pay a 5£ fee which will be donated to the Memorial Hall.

39 comments:

  1. That's a wonderful find! Could it have been in the house when you moved in and left by the previous occupants as you have no recollection of it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I’m sure one of the older people in the village, who I interviewed a few years ago, gave it to me

      Delete
  2. I love things like that. My late father-in-law collected postcards, and I always enjoyed reading the messages rather than the picture on the front. Snippets of life long gone. I hope it will join your book collection? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will put snippets of the more interesting info onto my history blog

      Delete
  3. Anonymous11:33 am

    I assume your electric shower is a back up shower in case the boiler fails, as I have seen in England.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t have a boiler . Andrew…I know ……a country bumpkin

      Delete
  4. That is a wonderful find and a good idea!
    Hope the bathroom work goes smoothly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, my little man rang today , letting me know that his electrician is on board

      Delete
  5. Great find. Made the clearing job totally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That would be a delightful read for anyone living in Trelawnyd. I grew up in a small town in Nova Scotia which was very old and historical, (Annapolis Royal). The oldest house, (still standing), was built in 1708. It supposedly has a resident ghost. I own a book written about the historic houses in my old town and I still read it on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting, old houses have a life all of their own ,

      Delete
  7. How fascinating and a bit magical

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pre Roman history was fascinating

      Delete
  8. Such an interesting find! I am sure your neighbors will be pleased for you to share it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will share it with Karen who has some of my history stuff

      Delete
  9. What a find - and fancy not remembering how it got there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I started my history blog, I interviewed two dozen older people from the village, I’m sure one of them must have given it to me and I over looked it

      Delete
  10. Why do we keep broken stuff ?!!! I have been quite ruthless during these last two Covid years and have thrown so much away, all of which was useless. It’s a lovely feeling when it’s gone. !!! And, pretty much everything that we put in the loft over the past 36 years of living here, has never come back down or even looked at !!!! Must clear that our next.
    How lovely to find that book …. What a nice way to pass a few hours. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I opened the bedroom windows wide and threw out the crap, very thereuptic

      Delete
  11. That photocopied book is perfect for you. I hope other villagers are interested. It's a fascinating find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve had one request for a copy from a young man from the village which is nice

      Delete
  12. A good clear out is always good. It seems we all need a deadline to actually do the job. So now you are ready for the Little Man. I'm curious about the date of publication on the book you found. It seems filled with very well documented historical facts about your village. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an official entry in an Eisteddfod in 1910
      Which is an arts celebration and competition of welsh culture

      Delete
  13. It's the 'danger' of clearing out, finding things that send you down a rabbit-hole for hours! Was your cottage mentioned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m yet to find a reference to it, but I have found a few in historic papers before

      Delete
  14. Imagine bloody primitive battles fought on your peaceful hills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few battles still carry on in the village teehee

      Delete
  15. You dwell in a fascinating and ancient landscape.

    I hope your new electric shower will have a booster pump to maximise pressure. You don't want a dribbly one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That would be very interesting to read.
    Interestingly my husband and I have recently moved to New Market, Alabama.
    Small world!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous3:25 am

    I really like the blog and I hope people will have a new blog, thanks for the blog
    មាន់ជល់តាមអនឡាញ

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love stuff like that! I am jealous much. I didn't know you ran a history blog... do you still add stuff to it?

    Jo in Auckland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes …just click on the photo of auntie glad in the right photo bar , it will take you to it

      Delete
  19. There used to be hangings in our road-I sense the coldness and the spirits -In this house there is a ghost I'm aware of and the previous lady was too-I'm only wary of the back bedroom at night-The rest of the house has an embracing feel though x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous2:27 am

    I really like the blog and I hope people will have a new blog, thanks for the blog
    កាស៊ីណូ

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes