Covent Garden


 The West End was rammed with people. 
I walked up from Euston just in time for a late lunch of lamb chops and black daal at Dishoom in StMartins Lane,  The Covent Garden Christmas Tree was suitably festive and I sat and people watched until it was time for the theatre .


The Ocean At The End Of The Lane was an interesting choice of mine as I picked it without knowing nothing of the production.
It’s a fantasy/drama about a man who after attending his father’s funeral visits his half forgotten childhood. A childhood full of sadness, grief, loss and disappointment and of fabulous witches, monsters, life long friendship and magical powers.
It’s a surreal and rather beautiful production full of visual tricks, superb puppetry  and a clever lead performance by James Bamford who captures all of the angst, confusion and pain of a twelve year old boy  who is hiding behind his fantasy pre teen, bookish safety net. Not wanting to process  what real life actually is.
I loved it


After the theatre, I walked the streets for a while.
Down to the National Portrait Gallery, then up over through Leicester Square, Soho and  Chinatown 
I bought a box of fresh Noodles from Wok & Go and ate them as I walked with cheap chopsticks bummed from the server.
The streets were filled with couples and groups of theatre goers and drunks
But it was nice to be a part of it all
I’m a bit nervous about tomorrow 
I haven’t seen my “ nephew” for over three years 
I hope he still likes me 
He was a child when we last saw each other 
Heyho


17 comments:

  1. Barbara Anne10:57 pm

    Lovely photos and the play looks amazing. So glad you arrived in time for a late lunch and the play.
    Hope all went well with Leo's journey and your meet-up.
    Enjoy all that tomorrow holds!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a delightful evening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i don't think he would be meeting you if he didn't still care about you. my son will be in london with his wife for new years. it's been quite a while since i have been there. i hope you have a fun day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The streets of London are beautifully decorated for Christmas. The Christmas tree you show is lovely. The storefronts must be festive too. Enjoy your time in the city!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your "nephew" will be facing some new challenges and will have his own anxieties. You will rise to the occasion as you do when kindness is required. I doubt there will be much awkwardness, as far as he is concerned, you are and always will be the person who accepts him as he is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leo wants to spend time with you John so don't worry about anything other than enjoying yourselves together-My dads older sister and I were such a goods friends from when I was about 19 even though I didn't see that much of her during my younger years-we spoke of things we didn't share with anyone else-there was such trust between us-Have a magical day John and Leo xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leo's Asperges may make for some awkwardness but he trusts you to help him grow towards manhood. I'm sure you'll have a sweet and gentle time together, and he will go home more sure of who he is, and that he is loved, and loveable. He's a very lucky young man.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interestingly enough, I was on the treadmill doing a virtual walk of St Martin's Lane today that was filmed some time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As others have said, Leo wanted you to be with him, so he obviously loves and trusts you (as does his Mum). All will be well. You have the experience and empathy to help him overcome any awkwardness. You'll both have a great time, I'm sure. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes it's wonderful to wander along busy streets just feeling "part of things".

    I think that the part of you Leo trusts and responds to has not changed. Hope you both have a great time together,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wishing you a great day with your nephew. My favorite part of your Saturday might have been the wandering around town.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, he'll like you okay. Everybody likes the big cuddly teddy bear from the corner cottage. The guy they call Uncle John.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You sound refreshed, relax and enjoy today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read Gaiman's book Ocean at the End of the Lane. Interesting, though hard, to picture a play from it. Hope you have wonderful time with your nephew.

    ReplyDelete
  15. lovely tree that is

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't know "Ocean" was a play -- I only know the book by Neil Gaiman. Sounds like you had a good walk around town!

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes