Sushi In Russell Square Gardens


Holiday day 5
Well.
I’ve known Alex since 2008. 
I didn’t know he fancied me until I met him two years ago, when I was newly single
Yesterday we had a lovely flirty time 
It’s a pity he lives in Poland. 
When you are in a long term relationship that has been ended unexpectedly, your self esteem takes a real bashing…
Well smashing or crushing would be the words I would personally use.
The thought that anyone else could actually fancy you never really enters your head again.
Not until it is spelt out to you


The South Bank was vibrant and buzzing again last night. 
The play was complicated but worth concentrating on. Written by Winsome Pinnock , it’s a weaved web of stories centred about the theme of slavery and black identify in Britain . From the 18th century we follow the fortunes of a Black seafaring family mixed in with the painter Turner’s famous anti slavery work The Slave Ship , as seen from Turner’s perspective and from the group of actors playing him and his contemporaries on a modern day film set. Add into the mix a contemporary  black actress, a second generation Windrush woman, and a black teacher and her pupils visiting the painting insitu and you will get the flavour of the production .
It was so refreshing picking my thoughts out with Alex after the production . 
He’s a professional film critic so post mortems come easy.

Walking back across Waterloo Bridge is a free joy at night, what with the lights of the city and the warm breeze off the Thames.
It was quite…magical.
This morning I went to the beautiful Somerset House for the massive PhotoLondon Exhibition . 
The ticket cost a few pounds more than the Banksy ticket did but you literally had two thousand more exhibits to review…an impossible task.



I concentrated my efforts on works by the vintage American photographer George Rodger and  on Robert Capa and enjoyed more contemporary works by the likes of Poulomi Basu and other documentary war photographers. 



It was like going to a huge antiques fair as it was so easy to get overwhelmed by the sheer scale of the exhibition but I didn’t want to get over faced by the amount on show so stuck to my themes 
In addition to my favourite rooms I particularly liked this work by the Norwegian photographer Simeon Johan 
Only 25,000£ of photo

And these rather moving “ portraits” by Diana Matar



I walked up from The Strand to Tobiko on Garrick Street and bought some expensive homemade sashimi takeaway before ambling through Bloomsbury to sit in the peace of Russell Square Gardens where I ate my sushi by the fountains in peace.
Russell Square Gardens 

Sunflowers in Bloomsbury’s window boxes

London is always a pleasure , the National Theatre and Somerset House and the night view from Waterloo Bridge were just icing on the cake. 
But to be found interesting and attractive by an interesting and attractive man has done me the world of good.
It really has…….
Hey ho

72 comments:

  1. Barbara Anne2:09 pm

    What could be better? So happy for you, John!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel more like my old slightly sexual self lol

      Delete
    2. Anonymous1:05 am

      Perhaps the vibing and buzzing you experienced on the south bank was because you inadvertently neglected to turn off your cock ring

      Delete
  2. suzanne dorries2:12 pm

    Is it possible you and Alex can become a couple? sounds like a wonderful holiday. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol we live in very different worlds and countries …I’m sure we will meet again we’ve known each other over a decade

      Delete
  3. What a shame distance is such a barrier. Still, I hope it has affirmed that you are a very attractive man, in all senses of the word, and that someone out there is waiting to discover you. Who knows, a move to Poland or Alex's move to the UK might be just around the corner. Stranger things have happened. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad your self-esteem and self-confidence got a big adrenaline shot! You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The zebra photo would make an impossible jigsaw.
    How wonderful to be found attractive. Enjoy. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great trip. I love the zebra photograph but not at that price though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was huge and sort of hidden away down a corridor

      Delete
  7. Another romantic checking in here- never say never, John!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh so much fun!
    And he IS handsome.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  9. A modern day Romance on a web of delight xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice holiday you are having! I have been divorced for a while now and can't imagine ever being with anyone again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh the excitement of feeling 'could it be?.......'

    ReplyDelete
  12. So happy for you John, don't forget that you are an attractive and interesting man as well, a little bit of romance and culture what a lovely time, thanks for the photos of the places you have been, a toast to a new chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad your self esteem has taken a real boost John - and yu really sound to be having a lovely holiday. When do you come back home - the fourlegged ones will be longing to see you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pat
      I’m home and dog covered

      Delete
  14. I think you're both gorgeous :) Love this post :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sensed you smiling as you typed that :)

      Delete
    2. I’ve been smiling all day
      It’s about time

      Delete
  15. It all looks wonderful! I am glad that you enjoyed yourself in London. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like you had a great time down in "The Smoke" as it used to be known. So pleased that Alex made you feel better about yourself after the shit that happened not too long ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a lot to be said for feeling safe in a relationship YP
      Things feel rather precarious otherwise
      He did make me feel better and we both had a lovely time

      Delete
  17. A smashing trip altogether. very pleased to hear it! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's great to see the smile in your heart from having your balls drained x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve missed you Mave xxx

      Delete
    2. Mavis-thank goodness you're back-I didn't know where you were-I've missed you too x

      Delete
  19. Keep on keeping on dear John - you've a lot of living and loving to do yet! I feel the joy in your words here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary yesterday lightened my heart
      It was about time

      Delete
  20. Good things, the best is . . . well you have heard that. The photo exhibit looks amazing, I could spend hours in there.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So happy to hear you had a fab time. Alex sounds a delight; I'm another who will say never say never. I could hear the happiness as you typed that! It's nice to be fancied isn't it? The photo exhibition looks wonderful; now that is my cup of tea.

    Jo in Auckland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course the exhibition was a money making enterprise, what with the elite show houses and galleries in the world taking part , but I must admit it was a feast for the eyes

      Delete
  22. You seem very happy after quality time with Alex. Friendships that provide that special something are precious. London is a wonderful city. The exhibit looks good and the zebra photo is outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The zebra photo was a true work of art in itself , it was at least six foot long and I’m at a loss how it was produced

      Delete
  23. I'm happy that you are fancied and that you realize it! How wonderful for your self esteem!

    Can you tell me what I'm looking at? Those photos of what appear to be sculptures. Are they? Where are they?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well you ARE having a great day, you weren't lying! Love it. Hey, take it, relish it, enjoy it and let it fill your soul. Nothing wrong with that.

    And I have to comment on the sunflowers, holy crap, they are in tiny little window boxes but they are huge. I'm totally going to do that someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they work quite beautifully that’s why I photographed them

      Delete
  25. Oh dear, you've reminded me how much I love London. My greatest pleasure was always on Sundays, cycling up all those landmark streets, and down unexplored allies. You see a totally different London by walking or cycling.

    I'm still hoping to buy a small Mews House in S Ken, but I need to win the lottery first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I sat outside Australia house on the pedestrianised part of the strand looking up at the horses and listening to the bells of the churches

      Delete
  26. Ahh! SO glad that someone has told you what we all knew - You are "you" and have immense worth. I'm glad you have an intellectually and emotionally stimulating friend, and can look forward to future meetings. There are infinite possibilities, but friendship is worth its weight in gold. Tatlking of which (gold I mean) the price of that Zebra photo was astonishing. The photographed sculptures had me thinking. They are unusual, but also challenging. All in all, a very good holiday John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I thought that about the photographed sculptures
      The disfigured mans head has a humour and a personality about it don’t you think, I stared at this collection for an age

      Delete
  27. Made me want to visit London again after reading that. It can make you feel so alive!
    It is wonderful to realise someone finds us attractive when we feel low, and I agree that there is a feeling of safety in a good relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seems an energy back in London , perhaps it never left, perhaps the energy is mine

      Delete
    2. If did leave during lockdowns just like everywhere else. Now reopened, without foreign tourists, the place has a good feel to it, a buzz that can be enjoyed without too many people.

      Delete
  28. Self esteem does take a long time to heal.
    Glad that you are healing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. You saw a lot of photos, ate delicious food, and had a great time.
    It must have been a beautiful and happy time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food for the stomach and the psychi

      Delete
    2. I have some friends in Korea now and hope to visit them next year

      Delete
  30. Go for it John. My friend crossed the Pond several times when he met a lady friend online that he liked. The last time he went, two years ago, they got married and she moved here. It can be done. Glad you are happy.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm glad you got to meet up with Alex. Long-distance relationships are possible, you know! I really need to go check out that photo show, if it's still on when I finally get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your holiday is wonderful..and flirtatious to boot.
    Thank you for showing and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sad that Alex lives in Poland. After a marriage of 30 years, I didn't know if I could have a successful relationship, but I do now and it will happen for you, too.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes