Serendipity


I was chatting about serendipity only yesterday over dinner
I've benefitted from this strange and seemingly fickle phenomenon over the past 18 months and one day I shall share some of the stories of its golden touch here on Going Gently but for now I shall share a little moment of more recent serendipity joy.

The day before my wedding my sister's gave me my grandmother's wedding ring. It was wrapped in a blue ribbon and was the something old in that old fashioned  wedding gift tradition way.
I was incredibly touched by the gift and kept the ring safe with my wedding certificate .

Over the divorce , I had to send  my wedding documentation off to my solicitors and without thinking the ring ended up with some office clerk who kindly researched where it may of come from and returned it to me.
The ring was placed in my wallet for safekeeping but like things do when life is fraught it suddenly went missing from its second safe place around a year ago.
I've scoured the cottage for it over the past months, without success.
I was mortified

Anyhow a few days ago I cleared out a load of old books from under my bed. I bagged them up into carrier bags and took them to the local charity shop but not before I noticed a small Christmas cracker lying amongst the flotsam of one bag
The Christmas cracker I recognised . It was a tiny one from a box of ten 1940s Christmas decorations I had bought from an antique fair decades ago, so I pocketed it inside my hoodie with the thought of returning it safely.

I found the cracker today. I'm doing washing and like a good housewife was emptying my pockets of snotty tissues and dog poo bags and there it was like a small toffee wrapper.

I remembered where I had placed the box of crackers and located it in the small arts and crafts writing bureau in the living room.
Inside the box were nine another crackers and almost hidden underneath them was my grandmother's wedding ring which had been carefully attached to a  wooden tag of a Welsh terrierby me and then forgotten
It had finally been sent back to me






41 comments:

  1. Lovely story John...so glad you found it. Very satisfying when something " lost" turns up. Can't you wear it on a little finger? Or have it enlarged so you can? xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was meant to be. I love stories like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, that's brilliant. So pleased you found it again xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely story . . .
    A treasure indeed . . .
    I hope serendipity visits me . . .
    for I have lost my very favorite ring
    which was usually worn on my right “ring finger.”
    Looking “high and low” for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That ring, that treasure, is meant to be with you, which is why it keeps finding its way back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny how things you think you've lost for ever suddenly turn up in the most unexpected places in the most unexpected ways! What a lucky find.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely story. Looking forward to the others. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't you get the best feeling of elation when something you thought was lost turns up in your own house? I am still searching for a necklace I lost last year. Maybe it will still show up somewhere. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mum , who never had anything much of any value, had two Georg Jenson silver brooches and she gave one to me and one to my sister. I lost mine about ten years ago and have never found it and I think about it a lot but, I remember someone saying that when you lose something of value to you, it is for someone else to find it and love it for a while. I’m just so pleased that you found your Grandmothers ring . XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love stories like that. Wish I had one of my own to tell. That ring is clearly intended to always be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You knew it was there someplace, and it was. When dad died, on the final clear out of his home safe, I felt around inside to make sure I hadn’t missed anything, under the top I found a hidden pull out drawer, with their wedding rings and a few other treasures, nearly lost the safe went to the house clearance sale people

    ReplyDelete
  12. Buy a lottery ticket whilst your luck is in...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely story John. Your luck is in and it deserves to be so enjoy every moment of it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There's nothing like the joy of finding something thought to be lost...I try all kinds of tricks and methods not to lose anything else.
    The only thing that works is getting into the habit of putting things in their place, ring in jewelry box,etc.
    I lost a ring that meant so much to me but it was nowhere to be found.
    I wept every time I thought of it being gone.
    One day I heard the cat running around on the bare floor downstairs and another funny noise.
    I went to see what she was playing with.
    My Ring!
    I'm so careful now that I am sort of anal about it now:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My twin also lost a ring once and it turned up months later

      Delete
  15. That is serendipity indeed! Glad the ring is safe and sound with you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If I'm reading the story right, you had it in a safe place all along ("carefully attached to a wooden tag") and then forgot the safe place. But it was still safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeap..I guess it's a non story kirk lol

      Delete
  17. Barbara Anne4:03 pm

    How sweet it is when that which was lost is found. What joy!

    Do let us know where you decide to put it for safekeeping as one of us will surely remember if it goes missing again. :)

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stress can cause so many ripple effects and one of them is the cracks in memory. I'm so glad you found your ring. That is a huge plus to help offset the less serendipitous moments.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so pleased that the ring has found you again.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A little something for you on my blog today, John. Also, looking forward to more serendipity stories. Love 'em.
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  21. Something was leading you to the ring-maybe your grandmother?

    ReplyDelete
  22. A beautiful story about a ring that wants to be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. A lovely happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So glad you found the ring, very poignent as you have had the final fees from your divorce this week xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Were you close to your Grandmother John?- because quantum physics says-like attracts like and your Grandmother wants the ring back close to you perhaps x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a ligh flis and the biggest positive influence on my life

      Delete
  26. Frame the ring and put it on the wall so you can see it when ever you want.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I was going to suggest a long gold chain, but framing it is a superb solution.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a fantastic story... I am so pleased that you got the ring back; I agree, frame it and then you will know where it is always.

    Jo in Auckland

    ReplyDelete
  29. All the twists and turns in this story with a happy ending another fine chapter in the book.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes