A Dysfunctional Family That Works

The dove house at Gop Farm just West of the village

Things change
Its the way of the world.
I had this epiphany when I was reading the Trelawnyd & Gwaenysgor Community Council Newsletter this morning and mused about things as I scraped mushed avocado from the front of my least favourite walking Dead T shirt

As I see it, the village hierarchy has changed over the years.
A strong family of matriarchs and an incredibly strong willed patriarch have made way for a more eclectic group of people who now populate the community council and the newer and more dynamic Community Association.
The council now has two women members! and has the unenviable and most boring remit, constrained by process and policy, of working within Council rules.
I do miss being on the council when The Red Faced Welsh Farmer was a member as his rants and conspiracy theories relating to perceived  in house shenanigans always proved to be incredibly entertaining interludes from the stuffiness of official chit chat!

The new Community Association has communicated  it's pitch just right I think, as it is relaxed and good natured group who likes to have fun.
This year's successes include the huge Carnival. Social Nights at the Hall, The resurrected Flower Show and the bouncing and very healthy youth club and coffee mornings.
A credit to the association's cool-as-a-cucumber chair, Ian P!

The village Women's Institute is doing well as is the art group ( who are making Christmas Decorations this Wednesday) and the Folk at the Hall (http://www.therecordjournal.co.uk/) is going from strength to strength with the dynamic Kelda at the helm
The Male Voice Choir (http://www.trelawnydmalevoicechoir) is still hanging on despite lower numbers in their ranks whilst the school seems to be as busy as ever!
is this surprising given the fact we all moan that we are all too busy to do anything!


However some changes are sadder than others to adjust to. The future of the Church with its small but incredibly loyal congregation is in the balance now that the vicar has retired, which worrying and
the chapel on London road has now been sold and will be made into a family home.

I had a conversation with a friend while on holiday about the need of being a part of something bigger.
He wanted to organise some sort of urban allotment group or a street party meal in order to get like minded people together and I remember chatting about things I feel a part of
family and friends are a given, as are, ( for me) my work team, Samaritans and Choir.

But being a part of a village is unique
as Mrs Trellis once explained and I quote

" The village is a dysfunctional family that  actually works"

32 comments:

  1. There are many roles there for you, much to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great description.

    I've never lived in a village, and never will now; but the suburban area where I am has a Community Association which arranges events and I'm involved in some local organisations; it's surprising how often the same people pop up in different areas. Community is so important. And so are family and friends. We all need to feel part of something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes some attraction for people who enjoy the challenge of organisation and committee work

      Delete
  3. If you want to prevent those buildings from being converted into unwanted family homes you should use the combined might of the council to get them listed. I'm not sure if the Welsh version of Historic England works the same way, but check it out. It is surprising how many historic buildings have somehow failed to get listed and are open to the mercies of developers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in a deprived area of a deprived town, consequently there is no community. I love your descriptions of your village life, it is like a little ray of sunshine, long may they continue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:36 am

    I think Mrs Trellis is wise and you are a big part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. werent you planning on turning the Bosoms into community allotments?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. someone snitched to the agents renting me the land
      they told me I couldn't!!

      Delete
  7. Mrs Trellis is so wise! That remark belongs in "The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like there are lots of civic-minded volunteers in Trelawnyd and that is the secret to community success!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a delightful place to be a part of!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:24 pm

    "Women's Institute"?... "Male Voice Choir"? … Is such blatant sexist discrimination still legal in Trelawnyd? It is no longer allowed most other places.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "A dysfunctional family that actually works." Not that dysfunctional then!

    Anonymous is being fanatically trendy. The organisations are exactly what they say they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trouble making as usual

      Delete
    2. Anonymous10:59 pm

      Humour actually FFS

      Delete
    3. Anonymous11:14 pm

      I am giving up anyway. This is my last ever blog comment, anywhere.

      Delete
  12. How big is the village? How many residents?

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you're looking for a 'good cause', how about putting that roof back on the Dovecote. Looks like an easy job to me, and would save it from ruin.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a great definition, although your "dysfunctional" family actually seems pretty functional! You've got more going on than a lot of villages, I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Barbara Anne2:34 pm

    Looks like your village has done well! As American artist Mary Engelbreit so aptly suggested: 'Let's put the FUN back into Dysfunctional!'

    Sorry you cannot do the allotment.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Im sure there will be a way round things

    ReplyDelete
  17. John, I think that photograph (a view of your village which I have not seen before) sums it up nicely - cheery flower tubs tended by somebody - and I guess for nothing -seats in a pleasant group so that everyone can chat - it looks such a lovely place and from your comments I know that to be true.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Did the new purple haired vicar (?) retire already? I agree with Cro on replacing the dovecote roof. That’s a lovely building.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My goodness - It all goes on in your village!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Wisdom of Mrs. Trellis. A treasure.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes