The Choir ( in a bit of detail)



Today I thought I'd share you my experiences at Choir in a bit more detail
More flesh on the bones, so to speak.
I'll try and paint a picture.
Last night, choir started in its usual slightly haphazard way.
Some people drinking tea in the corner of Gwaenysgor's small village Hall ( a building which used to be a one room village school) offset the twenty five or so other choir members who started to find their places in a large circle of padded chairs. The sopranos ( the most confident and most senior members of the Choir) sit in their seats of power at twelve o'clock. The altos ( the largest number ) sit at 3 o'clock and the tenors ( all ladies) sit at 6 o'clock .
Me and the 7 other basses sit at 9 o'clock.
The warm up is always a bit of a bunfight as the choir numbers range on good days to 40 or so


Jamie, our choirmaster , with his RAF 1940s moustache and 28 inch waist is a powerhouse from the get go, so after  a few stretches, Hollywood-esque acting squeeze  your nose and sing MEEEEEEE at the top of your voice and a bend over to touch your toes ( I don't do that one in case I fart) he throws himself around the centre of the circle whipping us all up into a bit of a middle aged frenzy before the first number.
Last night we sang a four piece African song.
Now, Jamie sings the verse he wants to each of the groups in turn and we all copy him like puppies.
As he sings he indicates the note he wants with a flattened hand, a movement complicated by his legs and bottom which dance around and kick and jump in time to the music.
it's the oddest thing to witness if you are not used to it for he looks like a moustached Woody from Toy Story (albeit a Woody with a nice designer cardigan and trendy brogues)
Within 10 minutes were were singing something new, catchy and rather good.
No one noticed that one of the sopranos was standing in the corner by herself dancing wildly to the African beat. Or if they did, they never said anything.
I always sit next to Peter who is a retired gentleman farmer. Peter is my new best friend because I bought him a trendy water bottle at Christmas as he kept knocking his water glass over during the more energetic numbers.
Peter has thick white hair, has a voice like John Gielgud and looks like he wears tweed 24/7.

Like I said its all rather relaxed with Jamie only shushhhing up the chattering Sopranos occasionally as he patiently tried to get us basses to hit the right note during a particularly hard version of Blur's Tender
We couldn't quite nail Blur last night which was a shame but just before we finished for the night we sang Tsmindao Ghmerto and for a minute into the Georgian hymn that certain magic happened ( as it so often does) and our voices started to blend quite wonderfully helped of course by the acoustics of the village hall roof, a talented yet frenetic conductor and a wish to get it right

tsmindo ghmerto
we hope to join this gathering of community choirs in the Autumn
Our Jamie is conducting! 
  





52 comments:

  1. I know that feeling, you have stumbled through songs and repeated phrase after phrase and nothing sounds right - and then something magical happens. Choral singing has enriched my life and I’ll go on doing it as long as I possibly can. So glad that you’ve found your choir, and thank you for sharing that glimpse of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're enjoying yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stick with it and by Christmastime Jamie will give you a solo spot - perhaps the first verse of "Once In Royal David's City".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. id have to have my knackers off

      Delete
    2. Winnie would gobble them up in the blink of an eye.

      Delete
  4. I love that you have found this beautiful group to be a part of. I can't think of anything better for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was very interesting I wish I could come and sing 😊

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds magical.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That thoughtful gift of a "trendy water bottle" says so much about you, John.

    ReplyDelete
  8. MaggieB2:43 pm

    You mentioned this before John. See you there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. with the numbers I hope we find each other!

      Delete
  9. I wish I could come to listen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you all sit down at different times how do you ever get to sing together...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. after a messy start we all get together quite quickly

      Delete
  11. I envy your talent for singing. I sound like a rusty saw if I try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. everyone can sing with the right teaching

      Delete
    2. That's what 'they' say. At church the choir director (a good friend, actually) said, "okay, everybody please SING! Except Susan, snicker, snicker."

      Delete
  12. Barbara Anne3:51 pm

    Lovely song! Ta for letting us listen. I, too am so glad you found the choir to join where you can raise your voice, your spirit, and add to the good Karma in the universe.

    I would like to be a fly on the wall to see your choirmaster in action. :)

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can just see him on the video below

      Delete
  13. Being part of a choir or group of singers sometimes brings me the most intense joy. I miss it! (That said, I don't often enjoy "listening" to choir music and I'm not sure why.)
    Leaving a link to a weekend workshop I participated in, last time I had the pleasure of such an opportunity. I'm in the alto section and am the little bit wearing the lavender scarf, on the left side of the back row. -Kate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oXULKKpJZ8

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just wonderful all around. Thank you so much for the video.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank You for a wonderful start to Wednesday.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gayle george went to the vets on monday..he has a degree of heart failure

      Delete
  16. Hope you manage to get to that community choir thingy - I used to belong a choir and years ago we met up with other choirs to sing Messiah at Christmas. It was an amazing, unforgettable experience.
    John I am sorry to hear about George - it is the price we pay for owning dogs - and a high price too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's bright in himself pat,as usual

      Delete
  17. Anonymous7:34 pm

    I am glad Jamie chose Blur over Pulp, much as l love Jarvis, and most of their music, l don't think 'sorted for e's and whizz' would have been a good choice for the choir!
    Sorry about darling Georgie, will you say a bit more about him please.
    Tess xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a cheerful as usual...he had a hamburger on the way home

      Delete
  18. Barbara Anne8:29 pm

    Wishing George well. He and the rest of the gang couldn't have a better Doggy Daddy that you, John.

    I've watched the video again to get a glimpse of Jamie. He's energetic!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank You John, very moving beautiful song.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds rather depressing but when you find yourself in the middle of it all...its rather wonderful

      Delete
  20. It is to my never ending annoyance and sorrow that I cannot sing a note. I would so wish to be part of a choir and sing beautiful songs like this. It was very moving. I like your Jamie!

    Jo in Auckland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only just read about lovely George.. I hope he stays bright. Give him a hug from me John.

      Jo in Auckland

      Delete
    2. Hes still cheerfull as only scottie dogs are

      Delete
  21. Why am I focusing on your problem with flatulence?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jamie sounds like a live wire :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good luck to you all and to Jamie. That song is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful rendition something to aim for in August.
    Lovely story telling John, glad that George doesn't know that he has heart problems and carries on as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So much power in the music... and a story well told.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes