Rehab and Other Stories


When it comes to rehabilitation I am a sort of a knowledgable pratitioner when it comes to motivation. For years I used a sort of pragmatic, warm and humorous approach when mobilising young people in their wheelchairs for the first time, a time which is fraught with issues that can zap the psychological strength out of even the most robust of characters. 
Rehab in animals can run on similar lines, but employing bribery and treats can work much quicker and more effectively than they do in their human counterparts.
Winnie's rehab after her stroke has been Bluebell.  Every day I have rattled the car keys by the back door ( a signal all of the dogs understand as " car trip")  and a minute later she has joined the pack, waiting patiently for leads to be put on. 
Now initially she had to be lifted into and out of the car ( something that increased my flatulence quota considerably) but now with some thought, she can jump up into the back seat, always first, and always with a stupid grin on her big chops.
Winnie adores car trips.
She adores them with a passion only usually reserved for boiler suited workmen and it is this simple psychological feeding of a need not to be bored , which has given her an extra bounce in her step which has in turn overcome her previous odd gait and tilt of the head.

Last night I had a tv night in. I was tired after Monday's night shift and couldn't quite muster up the energy for Choir Practice. 
I needed comfort food , I needed a catch up with The Walking Dead and I needed The Bake Off semi finals.
And so with a homemade sausage casserole ( oh err missus) with mash
we all shared the couch and binge watched.
I am still obsessed with the Walking Dead but even I must admit that it has gone off the boil over the last couple of years . Season 9 still has a few problems , but the reboot by Showrunner Angela Kang ( when did producers become Showrunners btw?) has provided a much needed boost to the vitality and feel of the show.
My take on the downside of the new Walking Dead is the size of the cast. We now have five communities to deal with and a main cast of characters that number well over twenty. With new cast members arriving soon, it is clear that many of our old favourites with have less and less screen time and less and less scream time means less and less drama. 
It's a shame .....in the first three episodes Tara, Rosita , Jesus and Siddig hardly had one sentence to utter which seems such a shame given their popularity .......
Just a thought Angela ...please note


The Great British Bake Off however has gone from strength to strength, thanks as usual by the delightfully eclectic batch of contestants that were shortlisted. The quarter finalists are so sweet they are almost painful to watch. An effeminate and probably autistic scientist , a mental health worker who looks like a stereotypical mental health patient, a slightly disabled spunky mom, and a sassy wisecracking thirty something each character brings a great deal of joy to the bake off tent and I think is clear that they think of each other as a family rather than just friends.
This week the delightfully warm Birony left the competition which was fair but such a shame and I must admit when Sandy Toksvig tearfully announced her demise from the show there wasn't a dry eye in Chez Dog I can tell you .....


59 comments:

  1. I've not managed to see any of it this year; sounds like I've missed a goodun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi1:47 pm

    Have you seen the ramps for elderly or infirm dogs to walk up to get in the car? Brilliant idea and they fold up so can be kept in the boot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I LOVE BAKE OFF! We get the British BakeOff early in the Spring into Summer, then Canadian BakeOff Starts. In the winter I watch Ozzie BackOff on YouTube, whoot whoot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHOOPS, that should be BAKE OFF. Spelling never was my strong suit

      Delete
  4. How wonderful for Winnie to no longer have that head tilt or odd gait! She truly couldn't have better care and a better home than you give her. -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad Winnie is doing well. My dog loves car rides too. I only saw the bakeoff show once but I quite liked it. It was not mean or cruel as so many of the American cooking shows are.

    Winnie has a truly beautiful face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and W's grin is anything but 'stupid'!

      Delete
  6. Margaret B2:20 pm

    Having a bit of a rubbish day today, recovering from an operation that has been largely unsuccessful, but Winnie's lovely photo of delight has so lifted my spirits and given me a much-needed laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbara Anne2:24 pm

    Don't you imagine that in Winnie's brilliant mind "car trip" = burger?! That charming smiling face and the tongue say it all. Am glad her rehab is going well, that her gait is back to normal and the head tilt is gone.

    We quit watching Bake Off the first season that Paul Hollywood was the only one left. We didn't care for Pru and those two who replaced Mel and Sue were no fun and even the way the bakers were introduced and filmed was bad. It seemed to us that those bakers didn't have a clue either. Please tell me later series with Paul improved.

    I still miss Mary Berry as we don't get her new show yet.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good therapy for all

    ReplyDelete
  9. There has to be a caption competition for that photo. The eyes alone are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Job Winnie and of course you John.
    I have been watching The Great British Baking Show on Netflix and having a great time catching up with your reviews of the show. Really like the new hosts as much as the ones who left. Don't know if we will get the spin off one with Mary Berry but I love this new group.

    cheers, parsnip and badger

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE Winnie in the back seat going bye (that is what we call it when taking our dogs for an outing!) Our senior cocker spaniel just had the same "episode" as Winnie - our vet called it the following - which makes sense...(at the time we thought it was a stroke too - but stokes in dogs are rare - so they say!?)
    Dogs with idiopathic vestibular disease have some combination of the following signs:
    A head tilt,
    An unsteady gait, loss of balance, or falling over,
    Circling in one direction,
    Eyes rapidly moving from side to side, known as nystagmus,
    Sudden vomiting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Look at that face ( and I’m not keen on bull dogs!) xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. We watched Bake-Off too. I was sorry to see Briony go, but it was the right decision. I am rooting for Kim Joy, because of her cute critters and her piping skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's slightly mad as a badger though steve

      Delete
  14. I like Kim Joy. The scientist guy is starting to irritate me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too... his diffidence is a bit overblown

      Delete
  15. Aren't you glad you bought Bluebell - it may just have been what Winnie needed! What a picture - you've made my day. Wish I could have seen the gang lining up to get in the car!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's literally saved my psychological health Ruth

      Delete
  16. I am loving the bake off too, it will be sad when it finishes next week. Glad that all is going so well for Winnie, she is a trouper isn't she. Amazing how food bribes - or car trips! - and the like work so well for dogs isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The best news regarding Winnie’s recovery and what a gorgeous picture of her and Mary in Bluebell. So happy to know you’re getting out and about and making the most of life with your adorable furry family. Our life revolves around our three pooches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to theatre Clwyd tonight to see the filmed live version of Funny Girl....never saw it , some computer glitch

      Delete
  18. I love the photo of the dogs in the car and Winnie looks so pleased with herself. I am still catching up with walking dead but have found the episodes now and taped them. I was surprised to find myself with tears in my eyes at bake off. I think it was a really emotional one. They do seem such a lovely group and I thought that the emotional Birony was so sporting about being out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she realised that it was only a game

      Delete
  19. Winnie has a million dollar face. You could market her on Instagram. She would make everyone smile.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous photo of the dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wonder what would happen if "The Walking Dead" and "Bake Off" were melded together? Perhaps co-hosted by Jeremy Paxman and Katie Price (aka Jordan) - now that is a show I would make the effort to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Neither programme is really my cup of tea John, but I do fancy that sausage casserole.

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh that winnie; mary is thinking "look at that ham!".

    ReplyDelete
  24. Aww bless Winnie, what a girl.. and what a face. She looks fab in that picture. Glad she is recovering well.

    Jo in Auckland

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous7:09 pm

    Car rides and treats work for me too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I adore Bake Off and can't wait for the new series to reach us. Not nearly such a fan of Mary Berry's latest cooking comp.
    Yay for Winnie. And you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous7:28 pm

    Happy dogs = Happy owner = Happy readers of dog owners blog.
    Win, win, Winnie!
    Love Tess x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Winnie and the gang look so happy! I love the baking show, but have never seen the Walking Dead. (I know, I am the only person who has not watched this show or that Game of Thrones one)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara Anne4:05 am

      Lori, we liked the baking show in the past but we've never seen either of the other shows so you're not alone!

      Nice to meet you!

      Delete
  29. This is wonderful news. Bluebell as therapy - this may open up a whole new medical field! That picture is pure awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Good grief, I've just logged in to this really nasty comment above. From someone called Chloe, allegedly. Well Chloe it tells us an awful lot more about you than it does about our good friend John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He insulted me as an arsehole on mr. Cro's blog so stop . Who are you ?

      Delete
    2. You insult cro on a daily basis and I'm sick of it and I am sick of you....the more people who see you bile for what it is the better. You are a total arsehole ....whatever your real name is
      And just like "Ursula" from now on I shall just delete u if you reappear

      Delete
  31. John, I loved the Bake Off until it moved, and I really miss Mary and the girls.
    Have been watching and I feel sure that that twerp is getting cockier and more full of self importance every week. Mr Hollywood annoys me something rotten.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Don’t watch Bake off. It’s not really popular here but Aussie Masterchef is one I love. Do you get that in the UK ?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Who could not adore that chubby face over the back seat...so glad Winnie is on the mend and loving life x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Winnie looks adorable what a trooper and lucky girl to be able to ride in the car. Best wishes to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Enjoyed reading the canine rehab account and glad Winnie has recovered.

    ReplyDelete
  36. No, not loving Bake Off this season. The little guy irritates enormously, Kim Joy wears too much badly applied make up and only Ruby has any spirit. If I wanted to watch people crying I'd reach for a copy of The Trojan Women...

    ReplyDelete
  37. Just delightful. All of it.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Bluebell is your best purchase this year ... and that it's helping in Winnies rehab only goes to make it even more of a wonderful car.

    That photo is priceless.

    I'm loving this season of Bake Off as much as I have loved every previous one. The only annoying thing is that I really felt Rahul should have gone last week and not the lovely Manon, maybe they thought the French Patisserie show-stopper this week would have been too much in her area of expertise.

    If Prue can just keep her Tweets to herself this year the final should be pretty spectacular 😊

    ReplyDelete
  39. Winnie’s pic and the thought of the “family” tumbling into Bluebell
    at the sound of “jingling” keys, has made my day!
    It’s the little things . . .

    ReplyDelete
  40. So, with the revelation about Anne trading people, and the people being rated as A's or B's, and them telling her they want an A from her, I wondered if that was how Rick was going to written off the show. Only two more eps before he's gone, and I just didn't see them killing him. This way, he could just be "taken". However, I've been reading that he does indeed die. I guess we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I'm back to blogging, full-fledged and must say that I've truly missed reading of your adventures. From Texas, I send a happy "hello!"

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes