Contratiempo

Great to see a more mature hero taking centre stage
A wonderfully strong , tense performance by Ana Wagener

Now if you fancy a convoluted, classy and satisfying Spanish thriller which has more twists than the Monaco Grand Prix go and see Contratiempo ( The Invisible Guest), its great fun, even though it's got more holes in its narrative than a lump of Swis cheese.
Now I need to take a deep breath here as the story is comwhat complicated.

Successful, married  entrepreneur Adrian Doria (Mario Casas) is accused of the murder of his mistress (Barbara Lennie) after he is found unconscious next to her dead body in a locked hotel room in the mountains . With time running out before his trial a witness preparation expert on her last case ( a statuesque Ana Wagener) has just three hours to come up with an impregnable defence, but it is suddenly made clear that the murder has been made more complicated by the accidental killing and subsequent cover up of the death of a young man and a desperate investigation by the man's grief stricken parents to find the truth.

Like I said this is a cracking thriller that had Nuala and I shrieking at the screen in the  tense excitement of it all and the final reel  twist is so satisfying even Alfred Hitchcock would have been proud to say he had directed it.
9/10
Casas and Wagener




12 comments:

  1. That man must have rather a crick in his neck by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She looks rather magnificent me thinks

      Delete
  2. Thank You for the review, when it comes to The Loft theater I will be sure to see it. Adore mysteries.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can’t wait to see this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it too complicated a story for me John as I fuddled my brain as a teenager x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm almost 59 years of age now & it wouldn't be correct to divulge-let's just say I enjoyed myself but paid the price x

      Delete
  5. Anonymous10:47 pm

    I don't mind Mario Cass at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love mysteries and good foreign films. Thanks for the review. I'll add this to the list of films to see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like foreign films but I sometimes have a problem with watching the action and reading the subtitles at the same time!

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes