Hinterland

Hostages Sharon Morgan and Brochan Evans

I often post about movies from all around the world on Going Gently, but it is rare for me to big up a Welsh film or tv series of any note as generally most Welsh offerings are pretty dire.
Hinterland is an exception.
Filmed twice ( once in English and again in Welsh ) it is a crime show set in the unlikely university town of  Aberystwyth which is headed by a flawed detective, Richard Harrington ( aint they all?) and his team of supportive cops. Moody tense and thoroughly entertaining, this drama benefits from its subtitles, detailed characterisations and mean and bleak country backdrop.
Tonight's siege storyline was a cracker!
Watch it on youtube if you get the chance

12 comments:

  1. I've been watching it for a month or so...very bleak countryside! I am probably watching some older shows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started watching on Netflix, have only seen one ep so far but it fits nicely in my run of British crime shows : Luther, Shetland, Broadchurch and Happy valley

    ReplyDelete
  3. 4 boys hide from a maniac hiding behind a wall in the countryside with nothing but a banana for defence...

    ReplyDelete
  4. As soon as you mentioned this the first time ( as the star of this show) I watched.
    Very interesting and I love the countryside. I love Shetland and Vera also.
    Tom made me laugh.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've had the first the first two seasons here but that looks like a third one.
    Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Hinterland! I started watching it while studying in Ireland in summer 2015 and got so hooked. All that dark sexual tension between Mared and Tom (how does he manage to look sooo downtrodden every single episode?) all the mistrust within the department and why do we never see Mared's husband? Hmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you watch it in Welsh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes i prefer it in welsh though i do need the english subtitles

      Delete
  8. What a nice information about welsh in this blog.Cartincoupon.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Hinterland but wish we in the rest of the UK had the choice to watch it fully in Welsh (with English subtitles, of course) as I find hearing Welsh spoken really fascinating. I think it probably dates back to when I was child and the only daytime TV on offer on Harlech Television (the ITV channel we got here in the West Country) were Welsh language broadcasts. I find the language pretty much impenetrable to understand but wonderful to listen to nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice TV Series is this and It got in West Country TV channel.
    Online Shopping in Pakistan

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes