Man On A Mission & A Little Kindness




Not many people can say that they have eaten a bacon sandwich in their own grave
Village Elder ,  grandson of the village gravedigger and general fix it man, Islwyn, is one person that can.
I won't go into the tale of why and when, for it is not for me to really do so
but the fact that he did, has always tickled me pink.

Islwyn is responsible for the beautiful state of the New Graveyard in Trelawnyd.
With minimal assistance he beavered away for hour after hour, year after year , 
in all kinds of dreadful weather, until proper paths were laid, walls rebuilt and borders set out.
It has been a true labour of love.

I saw him today as I was weeding bosoms. He had popped into the Churchyard to complete 
a small task, and stopped for a chat and to greet the dogs who all galloped over to
say hello.

He  is one of a small team of locals that is kindly looking after the animals when I am away in Stockholm .

Not a bad place to be buried 
Grass like a billiard table
-----------------------------

Finally , I need to thank Ivor & Carys Davies from nearby Abergele,
apparently they have followed Going Gently for a while now
They emailed me last night  offering me 6 ex battery hens
from their next batch
I emailed back asking them " how much?"
And was told 
They were a gift
Sweet!






28 comments:

  1. A sunshine-y post, J.G., and it goes well after your recent trials and travails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice reminder that there are kind decent folk out there. Stockholm?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:11 pm

    So I take it the hens made it through a badger free night? Wonderful. And an offer of replacement hens to boot.
    Now then....Stockholm?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful graveyard. And what a nice gift from the Davies! Shall I send you one of milk cows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please..
      As you probably know, I havealways wanted a cow

      Delete
  5. Hey John this is off topic, but have you heard from Angola Tom? He went home almost 2 weeks ago and has not posted an update. I sure hope he hasn't had a setback with his leg. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking the same! Hope he's ok x

      Delete
    2. Yes I emailed him
      He was very stiff and uncomfortable but doing ok ish
      After his long flight.
      I will email him today and report back ASAP

      Delete
    3. Good, I think he's on a lot of minds.

      Delete
  6. Honestly, it seems at times as though you're living in a magical village where people lean over stone walls, and drop in on each other with homemade scones, and all the animals are loved and safe.
    Wait a minute, all that actually happens there, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is it about walking in graveyards? We find it so peaceful and often just stop and enjoy the view at our own hilltop site overlooking all of southeast Portland. That was very sweet of the Davies to offer you more hens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad that you have had some respite from a horrible week. Onwards and upwards now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A simple act of kindness. What a wonderful place you live in. The community I live in was similar when I was growing up. Neighbors would pitch in and help each other. Those days are pretty much gone. Developments have pretty much taking over our rural life style. There are a few farms left, but sooner or later, they will be developed too. So sad to see a way of life disappear in my own lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dedication and kindness. Lovely qualities in our fellow man.

    ReplyDelete
  13. update on the original hens please are they ok or scared to death? you need meg to sit out there and check them all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hens are fine sol.... All safely in bed tonight.
      Mind you I was watching tv on my ipad as I watched over them

      Delete
  14. Lovely !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  15. All's well that ends well....what a week!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely gift - and graveyard. Have a wonderful (and uneventful) weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely gift, and the graveyard looks beautiful! Since i want to be buried at sea and have eaten bacon on boats on numerous occasions, i guess i've also eaten in my own grave. Mighty tasty bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't remember a trip to Stockholm being discussed. You really should check with us before you make plans. I hope you don't run across X. He goes there regularly. But then again, maybe you can run across (over) him with a car.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  19. How kind an offer of the chicks! Start the build up !

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes