|Spock and Kirk....true love?|
Well in like any performance review...let's start with the good points
1) It's a roller coaster ride remake of the first movie with great set pieces, excellent visuals ( with the usual over abundance of fast editing) and a jaunty ensemble cast to die for .
2) The movie 'enjoys ' fleshing out of past story lines from the TV series and the 80s film franchise and does have an unexpectedly moving subplot involving the bromance between Kirk and Spock which finally rears its head out of the wham bang wallop.
3) Benedict Cumberbatch's reincarnation of baddie Khan is a cracking success as is the wisecracking pacey script...which complements the action very well.
And the not so good
1) Much of what we see is a noisier, flashier, rehash of the original but in 3D....3D that the film just does not benefit from..
2) The two female characters of Uhura ( Zoe Saldana) and newbie Dr Carol Marcus ( Alice Eve) are a little embarrassing and are dreadfully oldfashioned. Uhura sulks with boyfriend Spock and Carol is filmed in her bra and knickers....not a good idea in a 2013 movie..... Mind you most of the diehard treckers will enjoy the big pair of boobs bouncing around in subspace I am sure
3) the film did not need the obvious 9/11 references which surface in its latter stages
Overall it's an entertaining romp.
And Spock is still a VERY sexy Vulcan
Ps. Long term fans may recognise where the plot will eventually go .....anyone remember Genesis?
Tits in space