|Odd Looking, camp and truly terrifying ( no not me but Javier Bardem!)|
I won't pick the whole Skyfall to pieces too much.
I have not really got the time today
Suffice to say that I enjoyed the quality of it all.
It is, a bit of a class act......and these are a few reasons why
- Director Sam Mendes allows a quality cast to shine alongside the usual wham, bang, wallop of care chases, doomed bond girls and big brassy opening credits
- Judy Dench is absolutely cracking as the "treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen" 00 leader.M . She underplays wonderfully , giving a certain sympathy to an essentially unsympathetic character
- New Q (Ben Whishaw),M's aide Tanner(Rory Kinnear) and fellow agent Eve (Naomi Harris) are given space to impress as the plot hurtles onwards in typical 007 style and they support a rather shopworn Bond ( The human but never too humane Danial Craig) but are certainly not overwhelmed by him and his usual flippant charisma
- Javier Bardem is an inspired choice for the 23rd Bond Villain. His opening speech in the movie,( a chilling monologue about rats that inhabit a small island), is worthy of something Hanibal Lector would deliver, and sets the scene for a truly frightening Bond adversary who is not adverse in a bit of camp, malevolent seduction techniques when Bond is haplessly tied to a chair...
- Mendes obviously has a great deal of fun incorporating the tried and tested Bond Clichés alongside some innovative cinematography and fresh ideas of how MI6 could work in a modern world.
I enjoyed it all, even though it was slightly overlong....and I suspect that Mendes, Dench and cinematographer Roger Deakins may be in line for some Oscar nominations in 2013....
I hope so.......
The new Bond is a class act
But we shall see8.5 out of 10