Updated Stories


I am at my brother's house.....everything is silent except for the creepy "pitter patter" of rats in the ceiling space. Poison has been laid but there seems to be one or two hardly little buggers still alive up there........
It's all very Repulsion esque

Anyhow thought I would update you on a few previous story characters...sometimes I do rabbit on about this waif and that stray only never to refer to them again..so I thought I would take the opportunity to "catch up" so to speak....
Mind you perhaps this catch up camouflages the fact that I perhaps have not got anything that interesting to say

1. Beatrice





Remember the "lassie Come Home" story of Beatrice, the Rhode Island Red who suffered a stroke? Her struggle to get back to her coop at dusk even when partially paralysed, could have made even Jeremy Paxman weep, so against my better judgement I kept her, and set her up in a small broody box in view of all the hens on the field.
Well that was a couple of weeks ago, and against all odds Beatrice is still with us.
She still cannot walk properly, but is starting to stand by herself  albeit rather haphazardly and eats like the proverbial pig.
Disabled as she is, I am afraid she will always have to be separated from the other hens who will undoubtedly kill her if she returns.


2 The Dumped Geese (Tom, Elizabeth & Anon)




Bloody hell these three charity cases remain hard work, but after a good bath, some intensive feeding up and some strict behavioural therapy, the geese that were abandoned on the 29th of September have settled down finally onto a noisy but generally harmless family group.
The old gander still rants on a tad, so I have called him Tom . The goose, his mate ( the brown and white) looks an old girl who still retains some pluck so I have called her Elizabeth....the juvenile I have not named as he/she is destined for the pot if I am unable to re-home them


3 Phyllis




Remember Phyllis Diller?
The bald hysterical bantam that had been shagged and bullied almost to death?
Well as you can see, some of her feathers have returned and she is laying now, secure and fairly happy in her run with the laid back-as-a-piece-of-cardboard Jane.
Having said this her nerves still seem somewhat frazzled at times, which, I am sure, a long course of Valium would help with...yeap she still has a face only a mother could love.


4 Camilla


Camilla and the orphaned Badger way back in June



Now a fully grown Canada Goose, Camilla has left her shed mate, (the little orphan cockerel Badger) to finally join in with the field's resident geese in their own house.
She remains a gentle, doe eyed soul, who is not afraid to resort to her gosling day habit of taking corn from my hand, and is perhaps one of the most beautiful animals on the field.
Little Badger is doing very well also. After a little bit of fretting when Camilla finally realised that she was indeed a goose, he has been put in charge of his own hen house with 12 of his own hens to fuss over. Still very much a baby, Badger has not quite got into the habit of "covering" his girls just yet, preferring to spend his day following them around like a teenage saddo, but he is healthy, happy and will I am sure take over the running of the field when old Stanley becomes too old.


So there you have it, four success stories....c/o Jonney's farm.....

46 comments:

  1. This account made me smile and realise that your kind nature is a model of animal husbandry where poultry happiness rules not money. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the 'update' John...glad to see that all the critters are doing fine and being spoiled by 'Uncle John'. The Canada Goose is beautiful and I'm glad to read she is friendly. Enjoy your afternoon!
    Maura :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am ever so sorry but I couldn't stop laughing at poor Phyllis, I so agree, only a mother could love her the poor thing.

    You do have a motley crew don't you? Oh and a big heart to go with it.

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Phyllis grabs at the heart :)

    I've read something about rats. If they find food they make the oldest rat test it first to see if its poisoned. Clever eh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can quite see why you were 'lumbered' with the geese! Lovely birds, especially Phyllis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such heart warming stories all around :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm choked up with emotion, John! The honour. 'An old girl who still retains some pluck' - Ha Ha! At least, it's refreshing to know that Elizabeth isn't destined to roast in a fruit sauce anytime soon - she will, I know, just like her namesake, continue to provide you with many hours of noisy entertainment! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:49 pm

    well done John...so nice to have follow ups and see the success you've had with your feathery friends...is the unnamed goose destined to become Christmas dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:51 pm

    So good to hear everyone is holding their own if not actually improving.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delightful post..so glad to hear everyone is doing well.
    Ok, maybe not those bound for the pot, but...
    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, Phyllis looks so much like.. Phyllis Diller. Who'd have thought! Missing your blog, will visit more often x

    ReplyDelete
  12. How in the hell do you bath a goose, farmer John?

    My parents had rats in their ceiling space many years ago. Trouble was they didn't stay there but moved into the cavity walls and from there onwards. I offered my services as rifleman Chris.

    Goosed by Tom, now there's a picture...

    ReplyDelete
  13. chris
    you have not lived until you have dunked a bad tempered gander into a large plastic feeder bucket!

    and yeap my brother and his wife have rats up the cavity walls.. I am feeling as though I am on the set of the THE BIRDS

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful man you are. Last time, I read about your church work and now I find out about all you have done for these lovely birds. I haven't had a computer all summer so I missed the original stories, but this follow up tells so much, both about them and about you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is it a good idea to put rat poison in the attic? If the animals die there, the stink can be horrible. I don't know what other options your brother might have, but this sounds like a fairly poor one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Always good when things are going in the right direction.

    Phyllis is a site in that photo LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your birds and animals sure hit the jack pot when they find you, except for the poor one destined for the pot!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We always found a wire cage trap to be the best for rats. A bit of old chicken carcass inside, and they can't resist. Of course, you then have to deal with a live RAT. Not nice!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Brilliant stuff. And what a low-down. Wasn't sure whether to shed a tear or spontaneously com-bust in laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the updates. My how Camilla has grown!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the update, John! Your posts are always interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. So happy to know the kids are alright. (You are so much nicer than you like to admit.)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the update John...always enjoy reading about your brood.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I wish I didn't have anything interesting to say like this! I love Phyllis.

    ReplyDelete
  25. John:

    Thanks so much for visiting my place, and for the kind words. Nice blog you have here. I'm one of those who catches wee mice and bugs and carries them outside, rather than just killing them (yes, I'm somewhat daft), so I have a soft spot for those who love animals, as you do.

    You may be my first visitor from Wales. May I ask how you found me?

    ReplyDelete
  26. That Canadian goose sure isn't going to fly away, she's a plump little thing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm a new reader/ follower and just wanted to say how much I enjoyed this. Wonderful stories of wonderful animals.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for the update, I was wondering how Beatrice was getting on, and Badger and Camilla. Like Chris, I was also wondering how you bath a goose. I hope Tom S (tends to go on a bit) appreciates having a goose named in his honour!

    ReplyDelete
  29. PS: I had to smile at the vision of little adolescent Badger following the girls around. He'll grow into it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous6:13 pm

    I love Starting Over's comment..."Sounds a lot like my family." That made me laugh!
    Thanks for the update...the chronicles of your allotment are like a great miniseries. I get very attached to all the characters and want to know how things turn out for them. Although I still can't decide if the genre is more like a children's story or a horror flick. (Really, the idea of Phyllis getting sexually assaulted is pretty disturbing. Damn.)
    I think Badger's my favorite. Always a sucker for the underdog.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a dear kind man you are. Thank you for keeping us up to date. No need to tut tut that you are NOT a dear kind man as it will do no good.
    Ruth in California

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm glad you posted the update, as i wondered how Beatrice was doing. No wonder poor Phyllis gets picked on, and it's heartening to know that Badger and Camille are thriving.

    I know that creepy feeling one gets hearing pitter-patter in the ceiling spaces. Chez moi, i think it's chipmunks mostly (old house), and confined only to the coldest months. Drives the cats mad.

    The several that have found their way in have met the cats. Two lived to tell the tale; the others were kitty quarry. I think the Two Who Got Away warned others, as there's been much less traffic, thankfully. Plugging as many holes as i could helped, too.

    megan

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your place is like an ICU and an isolation ward rolled into one!

    Well done with the persistence.

    ReplyDelete
  34. A day off from work and I'm watching Calendar Girls while baking cookies. I can't help but think of your lovely village wonder when our John is going to do such a calendar. Scantily clothed men holding animals from your farm? I'd certainly buy a calendar or 5!

    ReplyDelete
  35. You are a good egg John the Dogs, you have babied and fussed over these waifs and misfits making them whole and beautiful once again.
    I'm sure they look at you with much gratefulness.
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh wow. John all these little critters are a testimony to all the TLC you've lavished on them like Maura says

    ReplyDelete
  37. Phyllis is my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you for the update. I still just love that Phyllis Diller...spunky little birdo!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Poor Phyllis, we have found our frizzles to be quite nervous.

    Regarding your suggestion on manure for Thursday's Things In a Row...I have done cow...maybe I should do a cow versus horse versus dog. I shall "chew" on your idea.

    I always enjoy when you stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I had wondered about Beatrice and the geese. Good to hear the happy news. Rats in the roof? Right, you'll never want to fly over and clean my church. To add insult to injury the rats roll walnuts around on the loft-side of my pressed metal ceiling. I avoid poison for the fear of the stink. Aelfy is a good mouser/ratter thankfully.

    I hope you don't mind me asking - is it possible that Badger is gay? I am wondering if our stray tabby cat (which featured in a photo in my Catkins post) is gay. I thought he was a she, due to his pretty face and submissive nature around our neutered male, but recently he showed me his balls. Mind you I haven't seen him in action with a lady cat!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Loved the updates!! Of course, the Canada Goose is not so exotic for me, surrounded as I am by thousands of them in our farm fields! But I do like them. Glad to see your feathered friends are all getting on nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  42. So glad to meet some of these characters...

    ReplyDelete
  43. It's all very much like a brood of children, but glad to read that all the animals seem to be doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Enjoyed the update! Now...you really do need another bulldog.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hopefully your are not sick of [nor freaked out by]me saying "I thought of you John..." but I did again yesterday. I hadn't commented on this post previously, although it did make me chuckle as I have to deal with mice in my attic crawlspace too. About to drive me mad.
    I thought of you again yesterday. Entering the "living room" after work, I got punched in the gag reflex by the wafting odour of dead mouse.
    Yay....
    Little Rat Bastids....
    xx

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes