Tantrums of a pig

I feel I have neglected the animals just a little this week.
Brother's house, old friend's reunion, Manchester, Work all day yesterday and work tonight.....it all feels as though I have not been around here....mentally and physically....and that feels a little odd.


Despite some dreadful weather, I decided to spend a little time in the field, and It was lovely to forget the badness of last week, even though I have been soaked to the skin.

Margie .throwing a strop worthy of Violet Elizabeth Bott
My first stop was the pig pen.
The only reason I chose them first was that I could sit inside their shed out of the rain, so after pouring some pig nuts onto the earth I made myself comfortable on the floor of the hut.
BIG MISTAKE!
No 12 and Margie ( the former 21) bounced over like a couple of overgrown puppies and started to stuff their fat faces on the pig food, but as number 12 is now a huge boar and not the timid little piglet we first got to know and love, competition between the pigs was bound to lead to conflict .
Every time Margie tried to take more that number 12 thought she was entitled to, he would knock her out of the way with a sharp nudge of his snout.
After four or five of these rebukes, Margie literally stopped dead squinting her sharp little piggy eyes at number 12  and with murder obviously in mind, she stamped her little trotters like a two year old madam , then proceeded on what can only be described as a mother of all temper tantrums.
Squealing like ( well.... like a pig)...she bounced around the enclosure biting at plants, fencing and her water bucket with a savagery which was just a little frightening and not content with biting at inanimate objects, Margie hurled herself into the shed, stamped her trotters again and took a mouthful of my pants firmly in her mouth and shook me like a dog.
I acted quickly and slapped her hard, which seemed to stop her hysterical tantrum for a second, but then, after looking at me in astonishment for a moment, she let out another scream and ran out into the enclosure for yet another performance......
All the while number 12 remained calm and unruffled.......
We have brought up a monster!
Camilla and Badger are slowly letting nature separate them (although having said this, every night they still share the same house)....Daytimes Camilla follows the bigger girls devotedly, trying to ingratiate herself into their good books. The older geese are not ready to accept her fully, but I have noticed that they are more comfortable in the presence of a prettier and more graceful  companion. By the autumn I hope that the four geese will be sharing the goose house together......
and talking of sharing- the rather knackered Phyllis Diller (centre) and Jane( the araucana) are still comfortable in their own little nunnery, away from the advances of the miniature cockerels and  bullying from the bog standard hybrids.
Phyllis is actually losing more feathers......and has a physique only a mother could love....


Are ANY of my animals normal?
answers on a postcard...please!

27 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:55 pm

    Margie is a bit of a spoiled brat. I'm glad to see 12 stands up to her.
    I do feel sorry for poor Phyllis though. She does look a fright doesn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Normal!? How could they be! lol Normal is highly over-rated if you ask me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margie sounds just like Miss Piggy. All she needs is a wig of long blond curls that she can throw over her shoulder when she chases her man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you know the nuances of your animals the way a father knows and loves his children.
    I wish I could have seen that slap :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with "The Daze of Whine and Roses." I would have loved to have seen that slap.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even animals can have bleep personalities!

    Phyllis does seem like she is having a rough go at getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Phyllis. If she isn't careful, she'll end up looking like that chicken in China ... six months old, and it's never gotten a single feather. Poor thing is as bald as a baby mouse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, molting is normal for a chicken. Can't say that anything else your animals do is normal, though. You don't think the Canadian will fly away?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your life would be a wonderful series for the BBC! I wish I could pull a Margie some days!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha! a pig with the "terrible twos"...too funny!
    Jane x(the human, not the chicken)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Phyllis is one heck of a gorgeous lady! Now I've got to go try to slap Irene; that bitch has just flown into our town!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Baad piggy, bad!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Squealing like (well...like a pig)", loved this post - you have a great sense of humour, made me smile, although I am somewhat concerned for your safety ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poor Phyllis! She's not got much going for her has she?

    ReplyDelete
  15. From all I've learned, it sounds like Phyllis is molting.
    Glad the slap stopped Ms. Pig from hurting you.
    Have a better week, John. *hugs* ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. Margie sounds like a diva. Be careful when you go in the pig pen, John, maybe Cro has the right idea (sausages!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That must have shook you up, being shaken by your hissy fitting piglet! Phyllis, ah Phyllis!

    ReplyDelete
  18. yes phyllis is moulting
    she is being given extra titbits to build her up

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mad pig disease? Maybe not!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am sorry but you made me laugh especially with your last comment about poor Phyllis.......

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  21. We were just talking about "Airplane" this morning at work!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The picture of Phyllis made me laugh out loud. Having just gone through the thick of Hurricane Irene, a loud laugh was a nice stress reliever. Thank you for that :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous10:41 pm

    Slapping the pig? That sounds like an aphorism for something...hmmmm.
    I once had a steer try to gore me from behind, but instead he accidentally scooped me up onto his head where I sat frozen for a few stunned moments before screaming and kicking him in the neck. He dropped his head again whereupon I slid to the ground and ran through the gate before he could figure out his mistake and regroup.
    Now I'm deathly afraid of cows. Sinister, sneaking brutes (who, however, appear to have terrible aim. Thank God.)
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh John I think margie may be suffering from PMT! We have to buy Gertrude a new bucket every three weeks. It's easier than trying to stop a 27 stone pig!

    We also seem to have more than our fair share of special needs animals. On the whole they manage and don't seem to be picked on by others for their differences. Unlike their human counterparts

    ReplyDelete
  25. OH John...my nose is running and my eyes are still watering from laughing so hard...I can just picture you slapping that pig!!! There I went again. You need to write a children's book about your adventures...a kind of 'Green Acres'. Oh dear..my sinuses have cleared at least.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes