Gran Fry

My Grandmother, mother and parrot in Gwaenysgor around 1941
Gwaenysgor is Trelawnyd's "sister" village
Thursdays I always come up to my brother's house to lend a hand when my sister-in-law goes out to complete "jobs". Motor neurone disease brings with it great lethargy, so Andrew will doze for most of the morning hours.
I spend the time being somewhat of a self righteous secretary, and will complete my blog, e mails, and most importantly today, will do Chris' work expenses and write out the latest "Voices from the past" recording from the animated and entertaining Pat Bagguley.


I think , spending so much time listening to the  older people from the village recalling past times has made me feel  rather nostalgic for my own grandmother, who died back in 1984.
" By Gum" ......She could tell a good story.....my goodness if she had lived in Trelawnyd rather than her native Liverpool, she could have taken up at least ten pages of blog with amusing tales of wartime daring do (her story of how she returned to her bomb damaged Everton house with the ARP man to retrieve her children's clothes and the cat when there was an unexploded bomb under the kitchen floor could have hushed the Albert Hall I can tell you!)


Even as a child and despite all of the humour and funny tales, I always realised just how the war traumatised my grandmother. I remember when we were children, thunderstorms would send her scurrying into the "safety" of the airing cupboard, where she would sit in the darkness until the storm had passed...and bonfire night was an evening to be endured with the curtains closed and the television volume well up!


And yet, despite all of her WW2 induced neuroses,my gran did manage to captivate her grandchildren's imagination time and time and time again with that "spirit that won us the war" and "let's get on with it" strength everyone seemed to possess at that time.


Like most women of her generation, she experienced the abject poverty of the 1920s recession without going under. She scrubbed floors to earn a living, she waited tables in Isle of Man Cafes when things were very bad ( leaving her babies in Liverpool to do so) and despite everything, she developed a warmth and generosity of spirit that was passed on without reservation to her grandchildren.


I missed her yesterday.....I was walking in the village with the dogs in the strong afternoon sunshine and as we  panted our way down High Street, I spied Auntie Gladys asleep in a deck chair by her front door.
Seeing that old lady with the same indomitable spirit made me grieve just a little for my gran from those happy 1970s days full of bright sunshine and warm conversations

31 comments:

  1. Our grandparents and parents endured very difficult times but seldom complained. They had no money or time to seek help, but rather pushed on because they had character. It is a blessing that you could spend that time with her when you were growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was lucky enough to have my Grandparents right up until 2 years ago, when we lost our Nan. She came from the Welsh mining valleys and told a good tale. I wish I had recorded some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew none of my four grandparents. I suppose I have to content myself with 'What you ain't had, you don't miss!'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They don't make them like that anymore John. It made me long for my own Grammie Rosie who's been gone for such a long time, but like your own Gram, never forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Gran sounds like a wonderful woman.You were surely to have had her in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great description. I almost felt like her I knew her a tiny bit myself after reading your description of her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:11 pm

    You are so lucky to have had her and to have kept your memories alive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well John, she helped make you possible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love when something draws me back to the memories of my gran. She,too was an amazing woman and I learned patience and strength from her. She also taught me the fine art of tea-drinking at the age of 7. This always took place around her old wood stove in the farm-house. Enjoy your memories...it is part of who you are. Hugs, Deb=^..^=x5

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great photo, and an awesome story behind it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That would be derring do....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was a little girl when my Grandma died but I remember her like it was yesterday. I miss mine too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lovely tribute to your Gran, John; glad that she was there for you. That photo is FAB!! If you ever feel like writing more about her, please do tell how/when she kept parrots! How interesting!! (maybe that is where you get your "bird thing" LOLOLOL).
    I did read your archive about the unexploded bomb-Yikes!
    Hope you had a nice day with your brother. It is indeed, sometimes enough that you are "just in the house."
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved both of my grandmothers. Their stories were enriched with how they were able to make do with hardly any income. (wonder how well we would do with how they lived back in the 1900"s)
    I am reading lots of books on survivors of World War 2..what a sacrifice was made for us so we can have freedom.
    Your grandmother sounded like she gave you lots of loving memories to remember her.

    Have a Tiggeriffic Day~! Ta ta for now from Iowa:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So you get your love of animals from them.
    Your grandmother sounds like she was a great lady indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Mum was a real good looker John, lovely high cheekbones.
    Have a lovely Easter.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I too loved your Gran's stories, it was like you were back there with her, they were spellbinding. When I think about life now, I don't think we will have half as good tales to tell our grandchildren. Life was so much harder for them, but seemed so much more rewarding. Thanks for today. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. My mother was of that generation John and I only realised exactly how much poverty she experienced as a child when I began to read up about it. She used to talk about sharing shoes with her sisters, so that only one could go to school some days. All her life she remained very good with food - never wasting even a crust - she felt that waste of any kind was criminal. They were touigh in those days.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Damn - I thought you were organising a barbeque for (of?) old people over this bank holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well I say it a lot and I will say it again the memories we give to our children will last forever.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jayne
    thanks for your comment even though you were still logged in as me!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous9:28 pm

    Grand photo of your Gran, Mom and Parrot! I've missed my Grandma M. for over 40 years, so much of who I am came from her side of the family!
    I was privileged to be able to spend a great deal of time with her when I was a teenager. Her people were English and she had that stamina...that spirit of continuing on despite all difficulties! Thanks for bringing me a happy/sad memory!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's a lovely photo of your Grandmother, Mother and Parrot, John.
    Would be wonderful if you could write down, what you can remember of her stories. Must have been a very traumatic time they had to go through.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fantastic picture - the parrot is so wonderfully surreal, the women so wonderful. As were the stories and observations - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I spent most of my childhood with my grandmother and grandfather. They were wonderful people and I miss them. I do have wonderful memories and when I am riding my horses I can still hear my grandfather giving me instructions. He was a wonderful horse person also.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'll bet you take after your Gran, John.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous5:05 am

    What a wonderful photo! Reminded me of both my grandmothers, both of whom I had the great fortune of knowing. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  28. My mother has many wartime habits like folding brown package paper & rolling the bits of string to keep. If she has a little wrapped butter left after a hotel breakfast she'll pop it in her handbag.

    Mum told me that when the air raid sirens went her mother Molly would wait to make a flask of hot chocolate before going into the shelter !

    ReplyDelete
  29. I never knew any of my grandparents.. but your Gran sounds like my Aunt

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful accolade to your Gran. So nicely done Sir John

    ReplyDelete
  31. I enjoyed hearing your warm memories of your grandmother as I've often wondered how they endured those difficult days in WWII. Trying times defines who we really are.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes