Sod the duvet day

Chris is working in Edinburgh today,and disappeared early leaving me with his heavy cold. I could have easily hidden under the duvet all day long with a box of tissues and my Empire Magazine but alas that was not to be.and by 9.30am most of the hen houses had been cleaned , the dogs had been walked.and the bullying turkeys have had their beaks snipped after what I can only be described as a" bit of a bunfight"
The top soil being flattened by the hens
Village elder Islwyn has been re building a neighbour's gateway on the lane, and had very kindly shifted around 3 tons of top soil from his building work and has topped up two of my largest vegetable beds.He has been dry stone walling too with his brother and another workman and the activity on the lane has pricked the interest of the new St Trinian hens, who all have started to squeeze through the pig fencing ( they remain slightly skinny hens after their bad previous care and so can escape quite easily) and have crossed the road to see what the workers are doing.
These hens are incredibly tame and sociable. They seem to love human company, and seeing that I was absent, the best next thing for them seemed to be the company of strangers.
Several times Islwyn and his mates downed tools to round up the escapees and even a couple of farmers' wives stopped their trucks to scoop up the little brown hens from the lane borders. This game of "collect the hen" has worn just a little thin over the day
The quicker the gate repairs are done, me thinks the better.
  By mid afternoon my cold had really hit home.So I resigned myself to a night in rather than to risk passing on my germs to my brother who is still in hospital.


Well wont be alone tonight! No...for I shall be sharing my evening with Gloria Swanson and William Holden ! This morning I invested a couple of quid and bought a dvd of Sunset Boulevard. In my first year of University Film Studies I remember writing a 2,500 word assignment on just one still of this movie ( The famous final staircase shot), but I have never actually watched the movie itself!
So tonight its pizza (fuck the diet) and coke in front of the fire with Mz Swanson...even if its crap, it only cost me £1.50

The one thing I am certain of, is that when Mz Swanson will be uttering those unforgettable lines "We didn't need dialogue. We had faces! " The two bitches of the house will be battling quietly for my attention on the couch.
Constance is now alpha bitch. Sheer size and a deadpan attitude to die for has triumphed over Meg's needy neuroticism and adrenaline filled speed,, so poor Meg has  been well and truly ousted from her usual position of power, and she knows it.
Mind you I do insist that Meg always sits in her usual position on my knee every night as I could not bear to see a grown welsh terrier cry  Its a bit of squeeze on the couch, what with Constance shoehorned next to me, giving it large with her big goo goo eyes.

At least the dogs think I am a bit of dish to be fought over

31 comments:

  1. Sorry about the cold. You are a hero to be soldiering on like that - but it has to be done, doesn't it. Enjoy the movie and feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. feed a cold...starve a fever.

    PIG OUT
    and feel guilty about it when your cold leaves you.

    I learnt this information while jumping over pickets in a hoop skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your evening and hope you feel better soon. We pulled a sickie today and had a lovely day.
    Max curls up next to me on the sofa, which is fine until MOH decides to massage my feet, then he growls at him!!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy, Mister! And get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love that movie here! My lady has seen it many times! She has also seen the extraordinarily funny remake by Carol Burnett and Harvey Korman. Tee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about the cold, really is a bear, to have to go out and tend to chores when you feel like a spigot. Plus having to get those naughty little hens.

    Love your dirt! Looks like some really good stuff! You don't see dirt around here, like that!

    Poor Meg, the dethroned queen, bet it was a slap in the chops for her.

    Go ahead and eat and enjoy your movie and get some REST!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you get well soon, John!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you are feeling better.
    I have just read your past posts I have missed.
    Hope Gloria is healing nicely. Oh heck, I am sure she is thanks to your kind and nurturing way.
    Please give Meg a hug from me. Being ousted from top dog must have hurt her feelings.
    Hope Andrew is improving.
    The whole Tudor thing, I think you handled it very nicely.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Im sat here feeling sorry for myself - perhaps we have a computer "virus". I have my Snugglie (that makes me look like Harry Potter or the Arch Bishop of Cantebury)a hot water bottle and Glee to look forward to. Enjoy your film. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. John, I just have to say, your posts are charming and give me a smile.

    So we finally know why the chickens crossed the road!

    Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd give you a hand with the chores if I could...Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. never seen Sunset Boulevard? oh, my you're in for a treat.

    Montgomery Clift was set to appear in Sunset Boulevard (which was written specifically for him) but he dropped out at the last minute, as he felt that his character was too close to him in real life (like his character, he was good looking, and dating a much older, richer woman).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous8:39 pm

    Dear John, I am so sorry that you are suffering from an awful cold. And, to be deserted for a jolly in Edinburgh...how cruel. Edinburgh is definitely one of my favourite cities but perhaps Sheffield has its good points?!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi John! Pizza is my guilty pleasure, but I add a diet coke to that--I was looking forward to enjoying that yesterday but have the flu...Maybe another time--I hope you have an enjoyable evening and are feeling better!

    You need to teach the St Trinian hens that they shouldn't talk to strangers... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oil of oregano will do the trick for that cold....we swear by it John. A few drops under the tongue throughout the day. You'll be as good as new!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm stealing Jim's advice for my own. Not that I have a cold, but with this weather, it is inevitable. Thanks, Jim!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dirt...gotta love it!
    Curled up on the couch with your two favourite girls...how could you not get better!
    Rest up...enjoy the movie and the pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  18. And don't forget the memorable quote..."I'm ready for my closeup Mr. DeMiille". It's a great film. Enjoy and feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very envious ;) would love a day in the week when I could chill ,not long now though till trip up to Scotland next week bonding with Mum, sis and eldest daughter.
    Hope you are cold free soon
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  20. Enjoy the coze on the couch with the movie and feel better soon! Pizza is wonderful comfort food. Cheers! k

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like the planned events will make you feel better if they don't cure you...enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What does "fuck the diet" pizza taste like? Personally I prefer Hawaiian with a few anchovies swimming in the melted cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sunset Blvd. is my all-time favorite movie. I have probably seen it 20 times in my life and know all the words. I am facinated by the insane and eccentric... both of which she possesses. Hope you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous post and lots of visual word imagery. Whenever I think of Gloria Swanson in Sunset Boulevard I recall a cruise I took with my former neighbor, Joan, she reminded me of Ms. Swanson's character while onboard and particularly at dinnertime when she would festoon herself up to appear at table very glamourously.... and with attitude.... wearing all black with a black boa... Fabulous! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOL oh we all think you're a bit of a dish John!!! Hope you're feeling better today.
    Maura :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. my ex-sister-in-law was an alpha bitch too.
    I wish you lived nearer too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Visited your blog via Diane's - its great it made me laugh out loud - hope the cold gets better - your bitches are adorable they look very cuddly.

    ReplyDelete
  28. whew... My eyes were not working at full capacity and I thought this read:

    "Soiled the duvet today"

    I am happy to see that I just need glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sounds like you have divine evening lined up. Get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Until I googled Empire magazine, I had entirely the wrong idea of what you needed the tissues for under the duvet!

    Hope your cold is better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  31. mouse
    lol
    too much effort for an old fart like me!

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes