Having an adaptable Christmas

We are having an "adaptable" Christmas....
I am working Christmas Eve on nights and have given the family an open invitation to come to us for Christmas lunch.....with my elder Brother being ill, he and my sister in law do not really know what they can do on the day..so my eldest sister Ann had the idea of a sort of peripatetic Christmas dinner kind of plan......if my brother is up to it we will still host lunch here.....if there is other sudden materialising guests then Ann ( who has more space and no dogs!) will do the honours....if Andrew wants....we can also bring Christmas to him up at his farmhouse in the country!.....in any case the whole meal has been organised!!!
Chris and I will "do" the turkey and a pudding....twin sister Janet is sorting out all the veg and other bits and Ann will be sorting out starters,and nibbles and the like....between us every box has been ticked and agreed upon.
My brother and his wife have been through an emotional roller coaster since he was diagnosed with progressive Bulbar Palsy over a year ago now  ( Bulbar palsy is a version of motor neurone disease)....I know only too well that the constant contact with a health care system which is often frustrating and repetitive in its nature can be as exhausting and as hard work as dealing with the disease itself, so both of them need not to worry themselves with any of the unnecessary stress that Christmas can inflict.......
It is our job to do this 

The Motor Neurone Association Christmas Card
 Anyhow, it has been a day for Christmas card sending and delivering!
I called down to Prestatyn and dropped off a load of family cards and collected some from both sisters!
I had to smile as Janet, Ann and I all had sent each other EXACTLY the same Christmas card without knowing it. ....we had, each of us sent away for the Motor Neurone disease Association Charity cards......and apparently the MNDA has completely run out of this cat-in-the-snow design!
The power of good taste and a cheque book eh?

This afternoon Constance and I delivered the village cards.( the extra exercise has increased her flatulence ten fold by the way!)-so we cut quite a dash....me an my wellies and woolly hat.and .her with a machine gun set of farts! 
..The Village Memorial Hall has set up a Christmas tree in the centre of the village.,.....making Trelawnyd look rather sweet and festive..........for the first time this December, I am feeling just a little Christmasy

26 comments:

  1. Good taste AND a chequebook, my you are old school!

    Good luck with Christmas and best wishes to your brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having been off finding homes for retiring racehorses, I just grabbed a few minutes to catch up on your blog. You have been having a Winter of it, haven't you? Glad things are at least temporarily settling down, and that your Christmas plans are in place. Hope to be a more regular visitor again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hippo tom!
    THATS ME!!!

    Louise
    Hope to see you again!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi John! I hope you got my e-mail...It bounced back the first time...I'm so glad you've caught the Christmas spirit and have plans all made for it! I got my cards picked up yesterday and am feeling just a bit better, but I wonder if it's the cookies I'm eating or the holiday spirit? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like things are all set for Christmas Day no matter how your brother is feeling...you have a wonderful family John. You're ahead of me on the card thing...today I'll be dealing with that though so that's one more thing to check off the list. I'm glad you're feeing more Christmasy this year. You better make sure Constance stays away from an open fire!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you all have a blessed Christmas, John. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful kitty cat Christmas card, I love it.

    What a great plan you guys have going for Christmas lunch. I know it will be wonderful and can't wait to hear about it.

    My very best and lots of blessings to your brother and sister-in-law.

    John, you really are a "class act".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like 'all systems go' for Christmas John. Nice to have cooperative sibs I bet.
    That card is way too cute.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that you have found the Christmas spirit, mind sending a bit my way?
    Love the card.
    By the sounds of it all, everything is in order. You are soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Couldn't you train Constance to fart to the beat of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen"? This would surely be a big hit on YouTube. You could also conceivably add a few high-pitched farts of your own following a big helping of baked bean, real ale and brussel sprout stew!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great picture for a card - no wonder it ran out. I will think twice when I next buy some MDMA. (and in a small and nervous voice... that isn't Boris that you and Chris will be preparing, is it?)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tom
    Boris will NEVER be culled....I couldn't kill my best bagel sharer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like the Christmas card and laughed at your description of you in Wellies and Connie's orchestrations doing the 'rounds' -sort of reminded me of that scene of "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines" with the germans marching their machine out to a mimed German band march!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That reminds me that I need to organize my cards for the season and mail them. That card for the Motor Neurone Association is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. With a kind and supportive family around you, it will be a lovely time whatever you have John.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This has little to do with the majority of your post, but the machine-gun fart thing is something I as a youngster experienced. Myself. Running around the baseball diamond while playing with my dad and brother.

    It's a family classic.

    ReplyDelete
  17. John & Erin

    machine gun farts are a problem most bulldogs and old ladies suffer from!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the 'cat in the snow' card - must write mine out tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ahem..... maybe old English ladies! Please don't bag all ladies together as a sack of farters! I very seldom have that problem - it has to be the food you eat! LOL!

    It sounds like your plans (hate that word) for Christmas dinner have been well thought out! Sorry Andrew isn't up to a wild party, but good he will be with you all for Christmas!

    I love the kitty card, and it has so much meaning! Ever been above your joints in the snow? You can't move.

    What unlucky turkey ARE you eating?

    ReplyDelete
  20. See John..you are a Christmas Angel.
    I think your family Christmas sounds perfect. It will be what it will be. I've given up plans, they never work and just make me crazy, so I leave it all up to the Universe to sort out now.
    Sending your brother pure white healing light.

    ReplyDelete
  21. sharon
    ( a shop one!!!)
    jacq>
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the card!

    Hope the spirit hits me soon...

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh poor Constance.........you make me laugh.

    Those are lovely Christmas cards......

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  24. The important thing is that you are making the effort to be together with family for the holiday, even though its not particularly convenient. LOVE the card!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That card is TOO PURR-FECT! I've been posting sheep in the snow pictures on my blog, the past several days and I would love to follow up with this card. Would it be OK if I "borrow" it and post it to my blog? I will link it back to this post so that people know where it came from and what it symbolizes...

    Your Christmas sounds wonderful! Just the fact that you all WANT to be together is awesome.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. *HUGS* I wish you and your family (and brother especially) peace and strength this Christmas. I know this can't be easy for all of you. But it's wonderful how all of you are making the most of the holidays.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes