Night Watch

After I took the dogs out for the final walk of the day , I slipped out of the cottage with William and took up a silent vigil in the shelter of the Church Wall.
I wanted to watch the nocturnal exploits on the field, it is not a thing that I have ever done before and William is an ideal companion as he will sit and watch any given situation in typical welsh terrier silence.
Now I know a fox visits the small collection of 18 field houses regularly. I don't mind this at all, as every night the birds are safely locked away .....I do have a problem, however, with a daytime fox visitor, as a daytime predator is a dangerous one.. If I had a gun then a daytime raider would be shot......at night I would leave them well alone.
Anyhow, the little grey hen that was lost on Monday was a wanderer....on that level, her loss was her own fault. Leaving the safety of the field meant that she was in essence a wild creature, and you cannot blame an opportunistic fox or stoat or feral cat ( remember that awful creature that often attacks Albert?) for what comes naturally.
So, I sat down on an old deckchair in the dark and listened to the night , It was an interesting experience. Apart from the roar of the wind in the Church yard trees,you would have thought that there would be nothing to hear...... but you would be wrong.   The noisiest house is,of course the Indian runner coop. Constantly the seven adolescent ducks seem to react to the smallest of stimuli and they chatted quietly to themselves in a continual low murmur.
From the collection of hen houses comes the occasional flutter of wings as a hen repositions herself on a perch, and I can just hear a phlegm sounding  cough from one of the heavy ghost hens in the furthest coop, all of them together sound like a collection of asthmatic old ladies .
In the faint glow of the lane light I can just make out the silent face of Winnie peeping through the goose house window and beyond him the turkey houses are quiet, the bigger birds settled and asleep in their warm shavings. 
As we sat there we both noticed a movement to our right and out of the gloom of the graveyard fences,shuffled two large badgers. With their heads down, they searched the ground greedily hoovering up discarded layers pellets in the turkey enclosure. When one picked up the entire carved pumpkin I had left out for Boris to pick over, the other trotted over to the runner duck house and sniffed loudly at the door.
I almost laughed as the ducks suddenly went silent (I could picture them all holding their breath) and the badger slowly moved on, blundering in between the houses and coops.
Eventually William ( who was shaking with almost uncontrolled excitement at this stage) let out the tiniest whine and immediately both badgers raised their heads then shuffled off towards the safety of the field borders.
It was a fascinating and worth while 30 minutes out of my day 

23 comments:

  1. Great picture of a duck holding it's breath, John! Maybe you should spend the entire night INSIDE the hen house? That would be an experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, a man and his cat, sitting on a deck chair in the churchyard at night, sounds like a scene from Last of the Summer Wine !
    Those Indian Runner ducks fascinate me, it's as if they are in a perpetual state of chaos.
    Glad the badgers scuffled off without any takings, you'll have to double-check those hen house doors each night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Runner ducks really intrigue me also John--I wouldn't have thought they would notice anything but themselves, and it's interesting that they have some 'sense' after all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to sit outside at nioght and listen to all the noises. We have a few owls and kestrels I think that make quite a lot of noise and I can hear the pigs snuffling and grunting. The other night I saw bats too.
    What are your plans for all the animals. the white chickens - are they for food. I think they are the same as we raised about 10 years ago for food and they do get huge and waddle about. We also had cou nu chickens, which have a bald neck, they look really strange but were for food as well. What about the runner ducks, what are you going to do with them?
    Sorry to be so nosey but I don't know if I missed this on your older posts.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. sue

    I have 6 older runners ( five ducks and one drake) they will be kept as breeding stock as well as for egg selling

    the seven new runners will be sold.. fellow blogger dan will have 4 and I have a buyer for the other three depending on sex

    The ghost hens are just pets now...i COULDN'T eat them after all of the trouble they have had...
    I dont feel too bad about that seeing that they have started to lay eggs

    The Bourbon red turkeys will be advertised for sale too....

    ask away anyday
    jx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the nights and I think I am in love with your dog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the not-so-still of the night eh John? I love the way you write, it's so calm and intimate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great picture of the duck!

    Badgers ey? We`ve never had them in our neck of the woods. When we`re out in the eveing we may run into bears, fox and coyotes...which is more than enough mind you, but badgers, how very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to have a dog like William, Jack would run and hide and Jill would proceed to get torn apart by the badgers. He is a good companion.
    At least the badgers didn't get anything and now you know your enemy! Tain't just Mr. Fox!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent work, Sherlock!

    By the way, I love the picture of Winnie playing "night watchman."

    ReplyDelete
  11. In the still of the night
    As I gaze from my window
    At the moon in its flight
    My thoughts all stray to you

    In the still of the night
    All the world is in slumber
    All the times without number
    Darling when I say to you

    Do you love me, as I love you
    Are you my life to be, my dream come true
    Or will this dream of mine fade out of sight
    Like the moon growing dim, on the rim of the hill
    In the chill, still, of the night

    Like the moon growing dim, on the rim of the hill
    In the chill, still, of the night

    One of my favourite Cole Porter songs. Notrhing to do with badgers etc but who cares...

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is funny how the ducks hushed up! I have noticed ours seem to quack all night long too...I wonder if when the coons and possums come near they hush up too?I don't think I am up for sitting up and finding out though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you John for such a moving scene so beautifully described.
    I can see you sitting there and would have liked to be there with you. I love the night time trees in silhouette, they are my favourite.
    Great Blog as always.
    Briony

    ReplyDelete
  14. you have an incredible way of describing the scene...it was like I was sitting right beside you! I loved it, but badgers...I am afraid I would of urges my dogs on them. I consider my territory off limits, they have a million acres to hunt at night, just don't do it in my backyard. Badgers are the buggers to go up against though, find a Big dog to set them running.
    I think I would set a cage trap and have them removed though...badgers are an awful menace!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Badgers! Way cool!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tom Stephenson - "John spending the whole night in a hen house?" - the mind boggles and many responses spring to mind LOL!

    Must have been fascinating, tho', to see the two badgers (and eating layer pellets), Do you/should you encourage them? I beleive they can be quite a fierce anin=mal in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A sound track of those sounds would be great to have John. It would be quite amusing yet relaxing, I'm sure.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  18. My lady likes to go up into the woods at night to sit, especially when the moon is full. She doesn't take me though...she says that I'd do too much crashing around. Humph. She doesn't take Thistle the dog either because, being a Jack Russell, he's not quiet like a Welsh Terrier. I like that the ducks were still to listen to that badger snuffling! Tee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Although in one sense you were doing nothing, your description makes that half hour of observation seem dramatic and immensely worthwhile. Certainly better than watching a favourite soap which in your case I guess will be "Emmerdale". Am I right or am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  20. John
    the thing with badgers is that they go where they want to.... I hide allmy bird feeders away at night, but there is always a morsal to be had.... yes badgers can be very powerful.....they killed three of my junior guinea fowl around a year ago...only ivy and Alf survived...

    Yorhsire Pud..
    No I hate Emmerdale....love the ARCHERS though!!!
    thnak you everyone else for your comments

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, terrific post. You write well! Very vivid, I loved your descriptionss.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous8:11 pm

    Badgers shuffling their way into the field through the shadows and graveyard fences? It makes me think of Badger from The Wind In The Willows: "A gruff, solitary figure who "simply hates society."" Only you have Mr. AND Mrs. Badger.
    What a great thing to do, John...to go out and quietly watch the night. It makes me wonder what goes on in our backyard? Dia

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, what a great deal of fun that must have been! I can just see the badgers, shuffling around the field. You need a night camera.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes