A horror movie remembered

Well I think I will keep my (MY)  Matt Cardle video until later. ( He was very sweet singing Nights in White Satin!
Tonight, whilst reading waspish Tom's highly entertaining blog ( http://tomstephenson.blogspot.com/) I was reminded of my fairly brief sojourn into psychiatric nursing way back in the last years of asylum care.
The long dark corridors of a building that dated to 1829 lent themselves more to Hitchcock's Rebecca rather than a "modern" day health care system and the imagination of an inexperienced nurse could literally run riot when on night shift.
One particular shift I remember to this day, I was the only student nurse working nights on a ward called Dunham, which was a 20 bedded ward for, what was termed then, as the Elderly Mentally Infirm. I worked alongside an elderly  senior enrolled nurse or greenies as they were affectionately called ( because of their green uniforms), and the night flew by in a flurry of toileting, bed changes and over tired attempts at reality orientation.
I must take a moment to describe the ward.Twenty foot ceilings and two inch thick doors that were locked at night with cathedral sized keys. Pealing blue paint, ancient wood block flooring and wrought iron radiators there were permanently set on "hot"
At night the ward looked more creepy than the motel in Psycho!
This one night, at around 1am, the trained nurse and I was sat in the ward office which over looked the sleeping patients. Unexpectedly the phone rang and it was the hospital chief nurse who said in a clipped and somewhat breathless order " Go around your ward and ensure all of the doors are locked do it RIGHT now" before hanging up
We were terrified! As a fairly fit 22 year old male I got the job of racing around the Gothic darkness double checking that we were secure and safe...and boy was my hands shaking when I got to the final connecting door to the main asylum corridor, for in the distance I could hear shouting, shrieking and the sound of breaking glass!!
The enrolled nurse and I then stood in the darkened office listening to more shouts, bangs , crashes and screaming.....and I practically wet myself when the sound of running feet could be heard thundering up and down the central corridor only feet from where we stood.
My imagination ran riot ,   and if I could have resigned my nursing career there and then I honestly would have done, but like the true Brits that we were.....we sat there in silence, praying for the end to be merciful quick!
The noises finally diminished somewhat and feeling brave I walked to the office window and opened the huge out-of-date floral curtains in a flourish so I could look out on the main hospital building.

There standing not two feet from the window, and barely illuminated by the office lamp was a pale starring face of a man.
I remember everything stopped for a moment.
I said something rather manly like "eeekk!"
and the enrolled nurse bellowed "Jesus Christ Almighty" before the man turned slowly away into the dark.
I have NEVER been so frightened in my life and I can honestly say that I all but wet myself there and then on the ancient parquet floor...

As it turned out, the man was high on a cocktail of drugs and alcohol and had been flinging milk bottles at staff from the rooftops . (Like you do) after being refused night sedation from the neighbouring A & E department.
...and to this day, I still cannot cope with a sudden face at a window...or saying that.....I hate horror films to boot

10 comments:

  1. Hmmmm. We (my 'buddy' and I) were on night duty in the Wallace Wurth Clinic. It was a two storey modern red brick building of fifties design but the upstairs ward had been closed and locked as long as I had been working there. There was still a "Help" buzzer from the nurses station upstairs to our station downstairs. The upstairs station was always a 'single manned' station. It rang about 1.30am! I rang the shift supervisor and reported it and was told to ignore and under no circumstances go ustairs (I had an access key). When the shift supervisor came on his rounds he was quiet and reserved. As he left he took me aside and said, quietly, "You know a nurse was strangled by a patient upstairs, don't you? It was on this date five years ago!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. john
    you have just OUT CREEPED ME!!!!!!!
    WELL DONE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading these stories during the witching hour is not a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh great, now I'm afraid to go look out of the window!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must admit that I peek around the edge of curtains before I open them. The shock of finding someone standing there is just too great to chance. Reading your story reminded me of a book, Nun's Story, and one of the events when she comes into a ward and finds a nun sitting at a desk with a knife sticking out of her back. eek! I still think your life and stories would make a super sitcom. BBC should be knocking at your door waving money at you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was 9 or so, I had an irrational fear of opening curtains. Before that we never had anything covering the windows, because we lived in the middle of nowhere, with no houses nearby. I could see everything from morning til night. At some point Mom put up curtains or drapes, and for whatever reason not being able to see what was there before I opened them was terrifying. My imagination would run whole scenarios of something evil standing on the other side waiting for me. Staring.

    Looking back at it now, I suspect it was the fear of the unknown. Could've done without my overly active imagination though. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. kRISTINe
    me too!!!nice to see there are more irrationally neurotic people around

    Mike
    Remember going to see THE BLAIR WITCH? I nearly broke my neck dashing down the ginnell in Hillsborough back home!!!!
    cant wait to catch up with you on saturday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do indeed. As I recall that was a late afternoon showing in the Winter. Those shadows were very menacing on the way back home. Looking forward to next weekend too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:47 am

    What a fabulous post and follow up comment from JohnD! It's late at night here and the hubster is gone on a trip, but at least the wind isn't howling outside the windows so I may still be able to get to sleep. One night about twenty five years ago, I was sitting at the kitchen table next to a window that looked out on a alley. I was studying and for some reason glanced up at the window to find a pale face right up next to the glass peering in at me! I screamed and he disappeared but it took a long time to calm down again after that. I think he was just a peeping Tom, but there's something about the way the light from inside illuminates their skin against a dark background that's terrifying!!
    I think this post would have been GREAT for All Hallow's Eve...
    Dia

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes