Vets again

I didn't get much sleep last night. Some local teens organised a party in one of the fields way down the lane, which banged on until the wee small hours of the morning. I stayed up watching the TCM movie Separate Tables and caught a couple of drunken boys running about the front garden. Suffice to say they ran off with a flea well and truly rammed into their ears and I was left wide awake "harrrumping" angrily to myself.

This morning I took William to our new vets for a check up. He woke the house up a few days ago with a bit of a coughing fit, which has now disappeared, but I wanted to be sure if things were ok. I also wanted to give our new vet the once over, so the visit was also a bit of a test for him and an opportunity for me to start to trust him .
Since Maddie's death, I know I have become a bit of a "modern parent" where the animals are concerned. I have fretted over minor ailments and symptoms. I am aware of my insecurities ( I bumped into our old vet in the animal feed wholesalers and had to walk straight out!), so I made sure I told the vet pointedly that this was William's first check up since Maddie's death.
He picked up on my cue , smiled and said  "I guess you have a need to check me out a little" and carefully gave  William a physical from head to toe.
William obviously enjoyed the attention, he has always loved visiting the vets, and he closed his eyes in a kind of rapture when the vet checked his heart, breathing, mouth , teeth and bits. When I introduce William to people he doesn't know, even to vets that may well hurt or worry him, he will always remain good natured, polite and a credit to me....his sweetness is one of his biggest virtues.
 The consultation fee was 15£ and a relationship of sorts was forged, which was positive. The vet also stated he would be happy to supply me with some antibiotics If I felt I needed some for the poultry.( even though he admitted his expertise does not extend to bolshy turkeys)

16 comments:

  1. I take it that William got a clean bill of health, right? Right? He (well all your dogs) is such a dear! Do you have to get parvo and rabies shots too or is that just an American problem?

    How is Boris doing these days? Getting fit as a fiddle now or still on the mend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Separate Tables is possible one of my ten favourite movies of all time. Deborah Kerr, Rita Hayworth, Wendy Hiller, Gladys Cooper, Burt Lancaster, David Niven, Rod Taylor and all those trusty British stalwarts under one roof. What's not to adore? And the always makes me cry...lots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. William sounds like a delight! We live right next door to our vet. Ron knew her from university....they both were on the swim team. So we all instantly 'clicked' when we met her again years later. Gotta like the vet first then go from there.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, Liam got a good bill of health. I just read that the Irish verion of Willima is Liam!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sharon....
    no rabies in the uk (thank god) yes, william is fine! and as for boris, he's put on his lost weight and looks mighty fine...thanks for asking...will do a post update on all of the field population ( ghost hens, ducklings red and the other quail etc ) tomorrow!!!

    bel
    yes that awful moment when the "major" walks back into the dining room for breakfast and hides behind his hands as he sits at his table!
    wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. John, I have to tell you that I'm right there with you about the vet. It's important to really trust who your pets see, and I think you're like me, not just anyone is going to see my 4 legged family members...I'm glad he passed the first test!

    Enjoy your weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Harrumping can be injurious to a man's health. I suggest you quit the harrumping and take up something a little more healthy like painting Airfix models or amateur astronomy. I had to backtrack through your blog to discover who Maddie was. Belated condolences. Sounds like she was a great friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A good, compassionate vet is important and sometimes hard to find. Looks like you might have a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You were vetting the vet, as it were. William sounds like a real gentleman.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 15 quid? Not bad, especially for good news.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you and William had a good experience at the vet. It's important to have a vet you have confidence in. William is a doll.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad to hear that William is ok, I know what a worry it can be if you feel your dogs isn't well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LoVe the photo! William is truly my Hootie's twin across the pond!! I'm thinking there isn't a person Hootie doesn't like. He is especially MY baby though. He is at my side all the time and whines if he isn't!! Glad the new vet seems in tune with you. x-c

    ReplyDelete
  14. William looks like he `s been stuffed! ? x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I bet you've had a few manky ones in your time! Thanks for always making me laugh....xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am very lucky in that due to a few incidents many moons ago, the local youth tend to steer a wide berth from my house. We also get zero trick-or-treaters, and carol singers are no existant.

    Nice geese!

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes