Sociability and Bullied babies

The dogs usually have a long walk/run on the beach in the mornings. Their walk in the afternoon is centred around the village and I take this opportunity to deliver eggs to my regular loyal customers dotted here and there around the six or seven streets that make up Trelawnyd.
Yesterday, I walked the dogs later than usual ( I had been collecting apples for my neighbour Trevor) we walked up to the main road where I waved and called "hello" to  neighbour Pat as she drove out of the village then passed old  Mrs Jones who was deep in conversation with a friend. By Llys Mostyn, I waved again at Robert C who runs the neat allotment in the centre of the village and Derek and Heulwen from the Flower Show Committee, hooted their car horn in a brief "hello" as they drove up High Street.
An elderly lady (I dont know her name) waved her thin pale arm at us when we passed her sheltered bungalow (it is a habit we both have gotten into) and pretty Joanne who has a couple of the biggest dogs you will ever have the pleasure to see, gave me one of her bubbly "hellos" as I passed her on Bron Haul before I stopped and chatted to Meirion about his famous hanging baskets and tubs.
The red faced Welsh Farmer in his distinctive red landrover and knackered old tweed hat gave me a grubby thumbs up as we negotiated the zebra crossing back home and neighbour Mandy stopped to chat briefly as we entered the garden gate before she carried on with one of her power walks up to the garage shop.
It was only after I got home that I realised that my usual solitary fifteen minute walk could be...well..... so bloody sociable!

Bingley the Bourbon red turkey got out of his enclosure this morning and sneaked up to where Boris is housed and gave the older boy a good pasting. Luckily the geese, upset at the violence honked at the pair so loudly that I heard the commotion from the cottage and went out to investigate. I chased Bingley off with a rake and have just finished cleaning Boris' scratches and lacerations as he sat rather forlornly on my knee, like a big fat baby. As imposing as he is, Boris is just one big puddin' when it comes to physical confrontation ( with the exception of his constant hatred of Chris- who he will attack at the drop of a hat).Bingley, the geese and even the more robust hens will intimidate Boris constantly and I am constantly touched with the way he will seek me out to "cuddle "up when things dont quite go his way........

10 comments:

  1. Poor old Boris. My school days were like that, despite being well over 6 feet tall. At least I looked forward to Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tom.
    boris will never be eaten..... ( much to chris' chagrin)
    if I could move him into the back bedroom I would too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your solitary walk seems like it is cluttered with lots of "hellos", hardly time to collect your thoughts, but I am sure pleasurable.

    Poor Boris, no, I couldn't eat him either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe, I love Boris. :)

    I enjoyed your description of your walk. Reminds me of when I lived in a small town.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope Boris feels better soon. It's hard to be kicked around by a young kid! My lady would love to have a turkey here to hug but I won't let her get one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boris knows a good man when he sees one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved hearing about your walk, John. What a lovely village you must live in. Everyone seems so friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that little chick in your hand! Does your partner want you to let him eat any of your menagerie? Do you let him? Am I right in thinking that you are a veggie and he is not? There is no way I could eat my dependents, though I often eat strangers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy that Boris is okay.
    Your walk was like something from an old movie. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. no tom, I am a meat eater... and have culled my own cockerels ( they are still in the freezer) but I dot like doing it at all!

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes