6.50

I am typing this in the dark so please forgive the typos.
It is just before dawn ( the time when Everything but the Girl says "you are most forlorn"), and I am wide awake after Chris' size 12s have "tap danced" their away over the cottage's ancient floorboards.( he was due a lie in this morning but woke up early and decided to go to work!)

He has now just taken the car leaving the dogs all snoring beside me and the guinea fowl shrieking at something unseen in the long grass.

From where I am now lying, I can just make out the black silhouette of the hills behind Rhuallt and the lights from Gentleman farmer Ralph's farm are the only ones I can see. beyond the hawthorn hedges  and rolling fields behind the village boundary.

The view across the valley from the Gop

Our view right across the valley probably put an extra 20 thou on the price of the cottage but I dont care. It is a view I never tire of, even in the semi darkness and gloom of pre dawn. Very slowly the sky lightens up the field borders and the badger or the  fox that is upsetting the guineas will disappear allowing the birds to quieten,  and giving the cockerels time to crow in their own hen houses.
There is a stillness in the air that is quite lovely, a stillness that is only broken by Albert, who is, as I type this, clambering onto the bed to greet each sleeping dog in turn with a gentle face rub.

If I could bottle this brief moment in time and sell it to city slickers, I would be a millionaire

Postscript: Anyhow the romance of the above scene soon dissapeared somewhat after I donned wellingtons and coat and braved the first frost of the autumn.......my fingers are now stiff and cold after cleaning 4 chicken coops out before breakfast!........

20 comments:

  1. Made even more lovely because you are not the one who has to drive away from it at 6.30 in the morning? Have a good day, John.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found I was holding my breath while reading your description of the lovely view. The country is beautiful. You are fortunate in having the cottage and even fortunate in being able to clean out the coops. I had plans in that direction until my back went out. I find myself being envious of your coop cleaning diligence. You are a very lucky fellow indeed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. callie
    I get overwhelmed sometimes when I realise that if I became ill or debilitated in any way ALL the animals would have to go.
    The responsibility is wonderful but terrifying if good health dissapears!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend and I both read your blog each day and think that it is one of the best.
    She has just emailed me to alert me to today's and how moving it is and I agree with her.
    I felt as though I was there with you.
    I know how you feel about not being able to care for the animals if you were ill, my husband and I are just hoping we can live long enough to see the 5 cats out, I hate to think of them going to strange homes.
    Enough of this morbid talk, lets get positive.........
    Thanks again.
    Briony

    ReplyDelete
  5. Weather is warming here and we are getting plentifu spring rains - my snow peas and climbing beans are shooting, my tomatoes are about ready to repot, I've got more English mint and pots of chives than i can poke a stick at and i've just planted my pumkin seeds in a compost bed and about to plant my chokoes!

    Lovely time and daylight Saving to boot! soon be BBQ time! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The view is worth the money! Its lovely. xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous view. I love the UK countryside!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah yes! Cold reality rears it's ugly head...

    Then again, at least you HAVE chickens!

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even though I am mostly alone, anyway, I still enjoy that pre-dawn quietness and serenity. Yep, John, it's all about location. Your view is so lovely and I really appreciate mine.
    I do worry too, if (when) something happens to me, what would happen to my pets. I worry more about them, than myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Morning John! Well it's morning for me anyway. You're an early riser...me too..I don't like wasting the day in bed. My English Nana never would let me sleep in so I guess that has stuck with me all my life. You have such a beautiful view from your cottage...certainly worth that extra money. Enjoy your day...I hope the sun shines for you.
    Maura :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My will stipulates what is to happen to my pets. I change it regularly as the pet population changes. You have a bit of a different problem, though, with all of your critters. But, you know what, just enjoy the moment, your lovely view and the pleasure that your animals bring you. That's what really counts, anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love living in the country and wouldn't trade it for the world. The early morning moment you describe is one of the priceless times. We know 'reality' is just around the corner, with chores and farm drama, so that makes these moments even more savored. I drive 50 miles round trip to work each day, and it's all worth it when I pull back up to the tiny farm.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful view! What a wonderful way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Louise is right, enjoy the moment. It's galloping into Springtime here in NZ and getting up early is getting easier as the mornings get lighter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The seat in the foreground of your lovely photograph was put there in memory of Craig, who was my boss and was from Trelawnyd. He passed away in 2005 at the age of 35 from cancer. I have sat there sometimes and thought of Craig but never took a photograph of his seat - thanks for posting one. What a lovely spot for reminiscence.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love bench memorials val
    I always rememeber being humbled by the scores of 9/11 memorials in the benches in central park on our last holiday there....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ever thought of giving one of your critters the name of Heathcliff? The setting is perfect and would go along very well, I think, with your dialogue.
    Great picture with the bench John.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous5:26 am

    Here's to Craig, and the victims of 9/11, and all your dear animals, and Chris, and your home and view and squeaky floorboards and village and neighbors,and how deeply you care about all of them. Thanks for the stillness and sharing the view.
    Dia

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pre-dawn stillnes is one of my favorites times, although, many a farmer is already out and about by this time. I like to rise early for the most part and have a cuppa with the dogs sitting on the back porch. That is except on mornings after playing music until the wee hours :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes