Gentle finds it's own level and the politics of grief

My pockets are usually crammed with all kinds of shit. I suppose that they have become my version of a woman's handbag, dog treats, bits of paper, some cash (not alot), plastic bags, pens, paper , a small bottle of poultry antibiotics and as usual my knackered old camera, all have been pushed into every corner and crevice.

At 8am a sparrow hawk dive bombed the huge flock of chattering sparrows in the Hawthorn hedge, but he moved far too fast for me to snap a photograph of his successful attack...however I did take a snap of the ghost hens waddling out of their coop. Nothing too interesting in that, I hear you say....well yes AND no, for if you look closely you can see one of the brown hybrids creeping out behind the lead girls.
As a rule hens do not change hen houses. The house they are introduced to, is the house they stay in, but the little brown hen, that was hatched in the spring has taken herself from the main coop ( with 15 other hens) and has effectively moved in with the ghosts.
I have put this down to bullying. She is a gentle little soul and the old lags of the bigger coop do resemble a troupe of knackered old prostitutes that swear and spit, so it looked as though she had packed her bags and moved in with the benign battery hens who have taken to her like Aunt Marilla did with Anne of Green Gables.........
I think that all this was rather sweet
not everything in nature is tooth and claw.


The bickering and fickle nature of hens can be mirrored in the relationships we can see within some families. A friend of mine has recently lost his father, and is at this very moment experiencing that awful family tension where some relatives feel that they have a bigger "stake" in the death than other family members do.
Now I can understand perfectly why the dynamics within families can be tested when a loved one dies. Cracks within relationships can widen, minor feuds and jealously can intensify, that will happen with any major stressor, but I am always baffled by the "one upmanship" that can occur, especially in between friends, when one person's grief is seen as more important or bigger than everyone elses.......
This selfishness within the grief experience is hard to deal with. My friend is managing by stepping back from the conflict and by concentrating upon his own feelings rather than those of the more vocal members of his family. But we all need to have our own grief acknowledged not only by the important people around us but more importantly by ourselves perhaps that is why this "contest of grief reaction" actually occurs..... it is a way of having our pain and trauma recognised and accepted...........

It's easier being a chicken...........

16 comments:

  1. I'm glad the ghost hens are making new friends!

    Families can really be a force to be reckoned with after a loved one dies--My sister didn't talk to me for 2 years afterwards..But you are right, some days it is easier to be a chicken, but if a fox or a hawk is around it can be just as brutal as a family member can be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice of the ghost hens to include the "underdog"! I imagine her little heart was pounding hard the first time she went over there and said "can I join you?".

    Families really show their colors when a member passes on. When I go - I will be glad I am not around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is sweet the ghost ends took in a new friend :O)...

    I think you hit the nail on the head about how grieving can become a competition of sorts sometimes...and so many other things. uggg

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that the little hen found new friends with the ghost hens. We don't have much of a grief competition when a member of the family dies. Probably because my Mother's family, now just the cousins left, all hate each other and could care less about what happens to anyone else in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a kestrel dive down and catch a starling once on our allotment, all we heard was a whoosh a he was gone with the squawking bird in its talons, luckily for the starling, he must have not had a good hold because he dropped it and it flew away. I bet not many get away like that though!
    As for siblings squabbling over what's left behind, I hope there won't be any when we both pop our clogs as we really haven't got much to row over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Things you should know about Anne of Green Gables.

    1. Marilla is actually rather aloof and has a strict policy of tough love which the years never soften.

    2. She is NEVER called Aunt Marilla - just plain Marilla and plain Matthew, her brother. She refuses to acknowledge any imagined, sentimental family ties. don't think she'd get on with your Auntie Glad!

    Sorry but it's one of my favourite novels, mainly because it is completely lacking in any sort of bogus sentiment. If you want that sort of thing, read Pollyanna.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is sweet,the chickens. I never understand how some people act so very terrible when it comes to grief,making a sad time so much more worse for themselves and every one involved....

    ReplyDelete
  8. John, what you need is a 'MAN PURSE'! We both have one and fill it with everything.....very handy. It goes over your shoulder....very smart for your place! lol
    I am surprised at you for not knowing what a 'double-boiler' is. You probably have another name for it. It's a pan/pot that fits into another....the bottom one has water in it and you boil it....then put the top pot over it. To prevent burning and/or sticking of whatever. There......
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:15 pm

    I love the way you put that..."not everything in nature is tooth and claw." Here here.

    I've never really thought about a pecking order of grievers before. Interesting. I did a quick search on The Hierarchy of Grief and found this link:

    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/because-im-the-mom/201006/the-hierarchy-grief-who-is-the-biggest-loser

    It's from the opposite perspective of what your friend is experiencing but involves the same dynamic. Also, I noticed after your post about losing your beloved dog...in the comments...there were threads of this same kind of thing. That we shouldn't feel as much grief for a dog as for a person. Why in the world do we do this to ourselves and each other? I'm baffled, too. Hmmmm.... Thanks for the insight!

    ReplyDelete
  10. bel I remember the novels too....Ann was fiercly loyal to Marilla as I recall?

    but I stand corrected!!!
    lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always wanted to be like Mathew. Alas, I'm more like Marilla, sigh. Or maybe I'm more like Coleen Dewhurst.

    ReplyDelete
  12. jim,
    Marilla in the tv series was a little more benign than her character in the book!..... personally I always found her to be warmer than she intended!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Best way for our family members not to get into arguments is to limit contact intervals and contact periods - at least that's what I've discovered! My brothers and sisters are always asking me why we don't visit them more often? If they looked at the past they would realise that frequent and lengthy contacts always ended up with disputes and upsets.

    I'm glad we chose to move out into the rural areas - distance makes a ready excuse to avoid all but the necessary contacts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A TV series????? I saw it as a movie. Anyway, I was referring to The Nun's Story.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ann of green gables was a tv series
    and coleen WAS marilla!!! WITH mEGAN fOLLOWS as Anne

    ReplyDelete
  16. your pockets=my purse.
    My daughter and husnad call it my "house".
    Everything from dog treats to socks(hey, you never know when you might need a sock to try on a new boot)to lotion, to make-up, to a book for those times I am stuck in a line...and that's just one of the pockets.
    Families-don't get me started.
    I used to think mine was the most dysfunctional one, but as I aged I realized everyone has some sort of family drama to deal with.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes