Open Allotment 2010

I'm Knackered.
After four hours of open day, over three hundred visitors have ambled around the allotment and field, scoffed a trailer full of homemade cakes and downed a fair few gallons of tea out of china cups!
We are officially a success!
The weather kept fine enough for the numbers to exceed last year's event and this year I noticed a greater number of children attending (they got in for free too!!! which is not bad seeing that everyone entering got a cup of tea and a cake!!!)
I think we have raised nearly 520£!

Hazel with new boyfriend and kids in tow

Chris was on tea tent duties with my hard working sister Janet and Aunt Judy and her sister Bridget (top photo) whilst my elder sister ran the gate, raffle and all the produce sales.
The chap that brought his own allotment produce to sell, did a cracking trade and gave me a nice donation for letting him come, which was very kind






I made lots of contacts with other hen owners, a duck enthusiast, a pig breeder and even a couple of bee keepers from Dyserth, approached me in respect of setting up a hive here, so all the hard work has paid off two fold
Anyhow I have found the whole "open allotment" experience a very positive one. I have found the many small kindnesses very touching as many villagers have gone out of their way to contribute to the day. Apart from the ton of cakes baked by the ladies of the village ( and Geoff of course!)Jars of jam and bunches of beautiful lavender tied up with ribbons found their way onto the gate table with a score of freshly cut vegetables, potted up seedlings and cakes and scones all wrapped in clingfilm and priced individually ready to be bought. My sister in law dropped of a ton of goodies even though she has a lot on her plate at the moment and we even had a donation of some ancient allotment implements ( above) to add some interest to the filed borders
Thank you everyone for your hard work and big thank you for everyone who took the trouble to attend
I even got 2£ for my prize winning beetroots....result!!!

14 comments:

  1. How WONDERFUL! I knew you'd have a great turnout. I hope that you managed to enjoy yourself. What a grand turn out! Congratulations on a job well done...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! Great photos and seems you had a whacking great day - well done.

    Please post some more photos when you get time.

    Me? I spent the weekend with Denny-the-Dog touring around the countryside looking at abandoned farm houses. Will post more later on this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delighted to see your open day was so successful, however, I never had any doubts that you would pull it off, a massive well done and a lovely post xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three HUNDRED!!!! A smashing success! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah for you. Stopping by to say hello and check on randy Boris.

    ReplyDelete
  6. randy Boris still looks rough but he;s still with us!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a wonderful day! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you had such a wonderful day and turn out!

    Fun to get to see it by photo, since I could not attend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looked like great fun! Good job all! really pulls the community together I see. We could have something like that around here.....officiated by you John, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's fantastic!! Sounds like everyone had a glorious time. Pics were great. Lots of smiles.
    Congrats on a fabulous job!
    Hope Boris is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sure you are so tired, but I imagine it's a good tired.

    The Open was great! Wow, 300 people! Everything looks so nice! All those different tea cups and everyone seems to be having a great time! I see a lot of long sleeves and light jackets, that it wasn't unbearably hot. I would say, the day went remarkably well. Congratulations on a great open!!!

    Love the old hand cultivator BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  12. CONGRATULATIONS for a job well done John! What a wonderful day it was for you although tiring...it was well worth it. Your Sisters and Aunt and Chris worked hard to...it was a group effort! I hope you can rest tomorrow...you deserve a break. Have a great week....Maura :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! Three hundred people is fantastic! Your village really pulls together. Since it's the middle of the night over there, I imagine you're sound asleep, snoring away. Here's hoping that you get to sleep late in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done old chap! Every village should have a 'you' in it to pull it together. xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes