A masterclass of calling a spade a bleedin' spade


I always enjoy desert island discs...hosted by the velvet toned Kirsty Young
(For those that have never heard this famous BBC radio programme it is a talk show where celebrities choose eight of their favourite music pieces and discuss them - AND MORE IMPORTANTLY THEIR OWN LIVES- with the journalist Mz Young)


On Sunday I listened with interest to the actress and director Kathy Burke (right) and I found the whole production riveting and completely refreshing due to the complete absence of normal showbiz and intellectual bullshit and jargon.

Kathy Burke spoke honestly and from the hip about her relationships with family and friends. She harboured no angst about the relationship with her alcoholic father but saw it simply for what it was...As a child she hated him...as an adult she forged an unsteady understanding of him...and time and time again, when a more verbose and "arty" actress would of capitalised on the "drama" of the conversation and questioning, Burke told it all as she saw it and when she didn't "get it" she simply said "well I dunno about that!"
I enjoyed this exchange at the end of the programme:-

Kathy Burke: "For years I was in upset and unhappiness with myself because I thought I was a freak because I didnt do relationships!"
Kirsty Young: "How can you write yourself off like that? how can you say it's not meant to be?"
Kathy Burke ( a little indignantly): "How would I be writing myself off?"
Kirsty Young (back peddling quite seemlessly): "Because I think you sound like somebody who could greatly enrich the life of somebody else"

Kathy Burke: passionately! "Yeah but I want to enrich my own life, I not here to enrich someone else's bleedin' life!!"
I liked that........

16 comments:

  1. What were Ms Young's music choices? Would love to know what she chose and why - has me thinking about mine. Harry Secombe's Jerusalem and Land of our Fathers would be there, as would Elgar's Land of Hope and Glory (Ahhh - Memories of the "Last Night at the Prom", Sept, 2006.)

    Need to think about the other five and choose carefully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy Burke chose mostly modern dance tunes Lady GAGA etc....no pretensions at all!!!!
    I will have to think of my own eight!!!!!
    thanks john

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay I know this is a silly question but one that I need to ask. How does a lowly farm chick as myself find her programming? Is there an online radio service that has not been geo-blocked by UK service providers?

    I thought Mr. Soul was Too Cute 4 Cha Cha as well. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. you could try you tube????
    kathy burke is not on it but several favourite actors seem to be
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I listened to that too! I love Kathy, I'm one of the dying breed of feminists (sorry I know you're a chap and I don't mean to offend) who doesn't need someone to complete me, I'm me; if I can live with myself then some other poor bugger might have a chance...now I have to think of my own desert island discs

    ReplyDelete
  6. >Is there an online radio service that has not been geo-blocked by UK service providers?

    Two answers:

    (1) No. Desert Island Discs has (after several years) only recently "made it" to the online world, long after the BBC put it's other radio services there. The BBC do not actually own the rights to the programme (these are held by the family of the original presenter). Given the problems the BBC appeared to have getting this far, then I doubt very much that you'll hear it elsewhere - well, legally at least.

    (2) At risk of being picky, the BBC online service is not "geo-blocked" by service providers. The BBC is funded by license holders who live in the UK, the current cost being £145 (about $230) per year. I know that non-UK web users find this annoying...but sorry, we've paid for it, and listeners and viewers elsewhere haven't. That's the only reason why you can't see or hear it. Some shows eventually make it onto the BBC's worldwide networks, but these tend to be those shows that will generate income (e.g. Doctor Who).

    So, although it's certainly "quality radio listening", I wouldn't expect Desert Island Discs anytime soon as it would be unlikely to command a commercial audience - it appeals to a narrow index of mainly middle-class listeners, as John's post implies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Yeah but I want to enrich my own life, I not here to enrich someone else's bleedin' life!!"

    Okay for better or worse I love this! :O)...

    and I didn't see where her statements said at all she was writing herself off. Interesting someone would get that from her statement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Kathy Burke & all the characters she's played! Pity I missed this. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do believe I would like this woman!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Luciano Pavarotti singing Nessun Dorma from a concert in January 1980 with the NY Philharmonic conducted by by Zubin Mehta.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOfC9LfR3PI&feature=related

    That's Number 4!

    ReplyDelete
  11. And just to show I'm open to singers across the spectrum - Dame Shirley bassey and its a toss up between "Born to Lose", "The lady is a Tramp" and "Big Spender" - Why 'cos she was such a great entertainer!
    But I'm going to cheat a little and count all three as one - so that's 5!

    ReplyDelete
  12. shirley bassey john......
    that's very gay!
    lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Greetings John,
    Had to drop by your own blog to return the compliment, I think that I'll tag along for awhile if that's OK.
    Regards,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  14. John, I was at the Sydney Motor Club when she was doing an act - I had just finished a pre-embarkation camp prior to a tour of Vietnam and had taken a very attractive lady there to see the Shirley Bassey show as a farewell gesture - sitting ringside and drinking Veuve Cliqout Ponsardin - what else could she sing but Big Spender and wrap the big boa around me. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I met her once - Kathy burke, that is. Very charming and very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hell ya, I'm with her.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes