Losing George


Yesterday I lost George.
Now If anyone here knows Scottish terriers, they will immediately know that this is an almost impossible thing to do.
They are loyal and obedient dogs that never stray far from their owners' heels, so when out on a walk when you look round there they will be looking right back at you.
Yesterday we walked the length of Gypsy lane, and quite suddenly George had literally disappeared. I called and called, thinking that he had gotten all excited over a fresh pile of droppings, but there was silence after my call... no !"arroooo!" of recognition, no bark of answer.
I retraced my steps....no George. I hurried back to the main road dragging the Welsh by their leads.....still no George.....then I ran back along the lane again....nothing......
I was beginning to get frantic. In four years George had never been out of my sight before let alone gone missing,,,,and with Maddie dying recently, I let the whole thing get right under my radar and I experienced that awful cold prickly sensation you get when dread takes over from objectivity
I called and called up and down the tracks and snickets, all to no avail, and was helped in my search by two women out for a walk. I then decided to race back to the cottage to get the car... and as we turned into the lane just by my field I heard the usual Scottie greeting "arrroooooo"
We turned and in an adjacent sheep field was George sat calmly by the stone style....somehow he had taken himself through three fields full of sheep, negotiated two wire pig fences and a style and had trotted all the way home .
I could have burst into tears! and realized quickly that I am rapidly turning into an old woman where my dogs are concerned.
Anyhow today, Chris has left early for Kent again. His Uncle is having a birthday party over the weekend and Chris has gone down to join in. I am working Saturday night, so its going to be a bit of a boring weekend for me.
I am still worried about the fox too, last night I relaxed "fox watch" just a little and spent some of the evening in the cottage....at 8ish the hens kicked up a huge fuss and I got out there only to find the three main flocks all tightly knit in their own groups calling loudly at some unseen menace beyond the fence. My arrival put paid to any further problems , but he's still out there lurking in the sidelines.
My sister will lock the hens up tomorrow night when I am at work, but I am worried that there wont be a human deterrent around the field for a while after I leave for work at 7pm......I will ask the neighbours if they would like an amble around the field after I go perhaps...
I am getting a little obsessional
ps My rants to the water board seem to have worked...two men arrived this morning and repaired the wall!!!

21 comments:

  1. I'm not surprised, I think I'd get a little obsessional too.

    It unfortunately feels like just a matter of time before the bugger catches you unaware

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, yours was the first post I read this morning--You scared an old woman first thing when I started reading, and have to confess to going to the end and seeing what happened...WHEW!! Glad George was okay, and don't you just love it when they look at you like "what's the big deal and what's wrong with you?" Glad the renegade was found!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart was in my throat as I read about George. It's still not beating right!! I'm so glad you found him!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. EEP! My lady would have been frantic too. I'm sure George heard you calling too. I'm so glad he's OK. I think that fox is watching you as much as you are watching him/her. Tee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phew! I wasn't expecting you would find George! Sounds like a smart little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing wrong with old women! Glad you found him...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, I cheated. I was so worried about George I skipped ahead to see if he's alright. Thank goodness! Now I'll go back and leisurely read your fine writing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad I'm not the only one who cheated and read the end of your post first. I'm so glad that George is all right.

    Foxes are patient and smart. You have the makings of an epic siege on your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO glad George is safe and sound!Sounds like you are getting some cardiac workouts these days without having to exercise....

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad your wall is repaired!!!
    At first I saw the title of your post on my blogroll and almost cried. I thought you "lost" George. So glad it was just a little runaway incident. Try not to give me heart attacks this early in the morning next time, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad George was found John.
    Alfie can't be trusted off the lead over in the chicken field (most places in fact) He disappeared through the hedge last autumn straight into 50 acres of forestry plantation 6 hours later he re-appeared through the hedge I was sat there calling (voice gone at that point) and hubby and friends had a search party combing the valley. So frightening.

    I'm sure I had a dream about your new hens last night, but I can't remember the details.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG you had me going there for a moment, so glad you found George. So glad he is ok and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The title alone made me tense up! Damn dog for scaring you like that! Happy you found him safe and sound. I know all too well that 'feeling' when you can't find one of the animals.
    Yay, the water company came out and fixed the wall!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sure George wondered what the big deal was. On occasion we will lose track of the DC, she is only an indoor cat, but sometimes visitors will leave the door hanging wide open and I will suspect that she has taken advantage of it. Everybody joins the hunt, we check all her usual spots and then the panic sets in. So far we have not lost her for good.
    Damn Straight - they needed to fix that wall, is only right!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I should like to visit for a walk down Gypsy Lane. Looks like my kind of thing. When I was a teen our German Shepherd broke his tie. He was missing for a day and a half when my dad found him in the woods. His tie was still around his neck, but he had tramped through a patch of briars. He was all caught up, wet, and wimpering. Dad loosed him, brought him home, and pampered him. Our pets....they will give us a heart attack with worry, eh?
    ~Randy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good that George found YOU! Smart dog that is! I'm sure it gave you a fright though. Now, deep breath.....

    Where's your Canada Day experience?

    ReplyDelete
  17. after recent experience of my own ...on a larger order...but with that same panicky dread, your experience with George gave me that feeling in the pit of my stomach. I too leapt ahead in your story to make sure all was right! Also, very glad your wall was repaired, teaches people to be responsible.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I know that feeling. We lost our then 3 year old daughter in a shopping centre for about 20 mins but it seemed like an hour. Got ourselves in a right pickle too. She was found in the shop we last saw her in, hiding under a rail of clothes playing hide and seek, that's why she kept quiet when we were calling her! Didn't know whether to smack her or cuddle her - the cuddle won! Please he was found safe and sound. Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so glad the wall is being repaired!

    I am also glad George was found! Or ah that he found you...

    ReplyDelete
  20. thanks everyone.. need to catch up with someblog reading!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. umm I thought you had " lost " George for good & was thinking of what to say.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes