Pecking order blues

I bought four large ham bones today and furnished the dogs with them as I got on with planting out artichokes, Chinese cabbage and the last of the broccoli.
Meg, William and Maddie got on with the job in hand whereas George had a less than fortunate time with his bone and one particularly assertive amber rock.
The pecking order between hens is a well known phenomenon, but between hens and dogs I doubt there has been much research done.......By some innate ability the hens all seem to know that George is a non assertive, bullied individual who can be taken advantage of, and if he turns up on the field with food they press their advantage quite mercilessly.

This afternoon over an hour period they harried and intimidated poor George in an effort to steal his bone, so much so that I finally had to put him and his bone in the back of the Berlingo where he could chew in peace.
One white amber rock , who had pecked the gristle from George's bone in several concerted "attacks" made the drastic mistake of approaching look-a-like Maddie as she was sucking out the marrow from her prize . The hen was flattened instantly and within a split second, got swiftly de feathered for her trouble


The back garden arch that my brother-in-law made for us has finally taken on the typical cottage "look" that I had originally planned for . The clematis and honeysuckle have now joined together quite nicely.

My gardening bible is Carol Klein's "Grow your own veg" and this well thumbed copy is kept in the shed. Those are artichokes which I "bartered" from a guy in the village for a dozen eggs

Kate Winslet is still sitting on her clutch of eggs in the prefab hen house. (above). Her nest is now secure from the crow threat BUT this week I have decided to construct a scarecrow to maintain egg safety! The problem is, what shall I dress it in? All the crap clothes that I own...I actually wear.
The weather has been quite beautiful again...if not a little too hot. The pond already is drying up just a little,,,, and it's only May!!!

8 comments:

  1. No picture of the flattened and defeathered hen?

    That is a beautiful picture of the shrinking pond. It's hot here too. I am constantly watering. This is July weather, so I am very afraid of what July and August are going to be like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the photo I took was a little toofar away to make out any action!

    ReplyDelete
  3. John I love your arch, so romantic, - as for scarecrows, I'm afraid that when I made one, several people thought from a distance that it was me! What does that say about my sartorial elegance?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, your trellis looks very cottagie, if that's a word! I noticed your Moonbeam Maple....isn't it a great colour? Chartreuse certainly adds a splash to the garden. What's the name of the clematis?

    ReplyDelete
  5. sexy rexy !!!!! thats the name!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. poor George!
    I want a scarecrow too, for my garden, and contemplated making it with straw and old clothes of my hubby, but like you, he loves those dreadful raggedy things! I will have to swipe them from his closet while he is at work.
    If he is not wearing them, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww poor little dog...being bullied by chickens..I hope the other dogs weren't laughing at him. I LOVE your arbor...that's how I picture English..sorry Welsh gardens to look! You should find a pair of coveralls to put on your scarecrow...I was just given a pair for just that purpose this morning but I had already put a pair of mine on 'him'. If you lived closer you could just come over and get them. Have fun in your garden....Maura:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. great post again and photos.

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes