Dry stone wall geeks

Saturdays are usually a day for the weekly shop, a massive cooked breakfast at Sainsburys and a long walk on the beach. It is a day for Chris to "come down" after his busy week stretching his brain to excess at the University, and is also a day that I usually don't have to cook anything! (I am not the best of cooks!- but I can bake).
Anyhow when I returned to the field to check on the stock, Steve (above) had already started on the Herculean job of preparing the foundation of the repair of the Church wall. I have said before, he is going to teach me how to dry stone wall, but I guess he couldn't quite resist getting stuck in.
He figures that the original wall was constructed in the 1700's, and when I asked him what would be our course of action if we come across a skull or a pair of feet from the ancient Graveyard as we continue our repairs.... he wryly stated
"we stop!"

Tonight is a night in with lasagna and a movie. We are watching Inglourious Basterds, which I will review tomorrow (I hope Alex, Bel and Victor H will review it too!!!)

I have been given three young Rhode Island Red's from a friend in the village. Which was a awfully nice thing for her to do! The young girls will help plug the hole left by the fox attack two weeks ago!, and I will pick them up on Wednesday.

10 comments:

  1. fine dry stone walling
    L.G. of the http://pierreseche.over-blog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spoke to sara today (well if you count twitter as talking) She's well but been without a computer. She's also got some 'new' creatures.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to learn how to dry stone wall. A teacher at school used to offer a after school club in it and I always regret never going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1700's!!! Gee, I wonder what you will find in that wall. I hope you will let us know when and if something is found. That was very nice of the gal to give you some hens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love dry stone walls and ... for goodness sake ... give youself a sunshine flower from me AND the chicken boys for that matter with love and from one blogger to another and it's Valentines and it's my birthday ( nearly ) and well ... you love flowers !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you do a step by step with photos. Very interesting. Does the wall border your property?

    ReplyDelete
  7. We rent the field, it is unofficially the glebe of the Church and will eventually be the overspill for the Churchyard.

    I am not obliged to fix the wall,but am doing so to keep everyone (including a few ladies that hate to see hens in the churchyard) happy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The thing I like about your blog/writing, is your choice of words. I have never heard the word "glebe" before and had to google it. The wall is already a learning experience for me . Unfortunately, I know of no glebes in the US. If there were glebes here, I'm sure they are now parking lots, or gas stations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I agree, I too would love to see some photos of the repair work on the stone wall. I am going to have to google glebe and dry stone walling. Glad you are getting some more hens.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, please show instructions on how to do this. I have a stone wall of my own, that needs repair, and I haven't the faintest idea how to go about it. Though, mine is free standing.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes