Flower show entries and animal ties

This afternoon I have organised some of my entries for my sister's Flower Show, which opens on Friday morning. It is a little too early to be cutting vegetables but as I am off to Manchester to see Nige tomorrow, it is the only time I can prepare things.

Halleh (Centre with Rogo watching on)

I have written before about how some of the animals constantly seem to have the ability to amaze and move me; and today I witnessed another little "gem" of an interaction.
Halleh now has been officially abandoned by his adoptive mother Blanche which is pretty normal behaviour for a broody hen. For days he has been following the dog attack survivor flock which is led by the red cockerel Rogo, in an effort to obtain security and company, and today I realised just how effective his stalking behaviour has been.
I made some rice for Chris' tea this afternoon and took the leftovers over to the field .As I called the hens to come forward, Halleh as usual joined in with the rush for food but unfortunately got one of his feet trapped in the fencing. He panicked, as ducks have a want to do, and fell flat on his face calling out with a loud hysterical call . Immediately Rogo was at his side dancing in a typical male defence pose, and I had to drive the cockerel off before I could free Halleh from the fence. It would now seem that the duck is firmly part of Rogo's small flock

This evening we are holding the last of the Trelawnyd Flower Show committee meetings before the big day in August There seems a great deal to do but generally I think that most things are in hand. I am also pleased that we received an official invite for two members of the committee to attend the grand opening of the newly refurbished memorial hall on the 18th of September. I think it was a nice gesture that we were included in the celebrations and I am sure it is a reflection of how much the Flower Show has supported the Memorial hall with sizable donations over many years.
After discussion the committee agreed that Carol Royles and I would be attending, which is fun

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes