Postscript

You need to read the previous blog first to understand this one!
At 10.00 pm I sneaked onto the field and took a peek in Blanche's single hut.
In the centre of the coop there she sat, happy and comfortable on her single (pipping egg). The day old duckling was tucked carefully under her bald wing and was asleep.
Here's hoping the chick hatches and with two unlikely babies in tow, she starts to eat and drink properly.
I have taken Rose's advice and have tried her with some oats and yogurt.....none taken so far, but she has eaten a small amount of Albert's cat food!
Next year despite any poor condition, I will let her sit on her own eggs and we will soldier through!

2 comments:

  1. As you know im not the most sensitive of blokes but sometimes your attention and care to the well being of creatures big and small often humbles me amd makes me very often take stock of what lifes about.

    P.S im still younger than you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moulting looks awful, but headstrong chickens can be so resilient. Chicks hatched in the incubator are put down just inside the door of the coop, it has never failed with over 150 chicks that a hen didn't come and claim them for her own. You are too sweet to your birds, just how I think it should be. Thanks for trying the yogurt I know I can be bossy, lol. Peace for all

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes