Clover returns & a logistical nightmare

Bill who took Clover last week called around today, worried and apologetic. The cockerel had not been able to settle with his hens, had not eaten for days and unfortunately looked limp and very ill. He asked if I could take the poor chap back, and of course I said I would.
Bill, like myself, lives for his hens and treats them professionally and with much care.
Poor Clover, he looked dreadfully ill when he arrived, and although I suspected it was the shock of being separated from Poppy and his usual surroundings that precipitated this depressive look, I also thought that the shock had made the poor cockerel susceptible to some sort of infection or illness. (above pic Clover is on the left)
I treated him for worms, gave him some antibiotics and set him up with Poppy, who danced around a bit but did not spar or attack his brother,( which is rare as poultry often are very "cruel" with flock mates who are ill.) I also gave him some cat food and pasta which he ate, politely.
I am loath to go away tomorrow in some ways, as the poor chap, I feel should be watched and treated closely.

Anyhow tomorrow I am off to London to catch up with Nuala. I can't wait! I will meet her at the National Portrait Gallery ( there is an exhibition of photos entitled "Gay Icons" which should be interesting) then we are off to see Sister Act-the musical (camp or what?)..then off for a bite to eat and gossip till late! Thursday I will have mooch around the Tate and South Bank, then meet her afterwork before coming home on the late train (which is also the cheapest!!) all in all I will be away for 2 whole days!!!!!!!!!
I couldn't go to London without the goodwill of friends and a organisational effort of gigantic proportions! Carole and Ewan will babysit the dogs each day, whilst Mandy from next door will make sure the ducks and hens will have a top up of water in the hot weather. Geoff kindly is feeding the pigs and putting the poultry to bed on Thursday night and Chris will complete all the other jobs.
I have slaved back and forth this evening putting out extra feed bowls and water containers in each enclosure and have filled all the feeders almost to over flowing! Apart from leaving the hens a little personal note, there is very little else I can do
The weather is going to be hot and dry over the next few days, so I have had to soak as much of the allotment that is possible. With all of the buffs now broody and with Clover sick, I know I am taking a chance going to London but I want and need to go! I don't get too many chances to meet up with Nu.

1 comment:

  1. It's getting dark, so I better get home b4 I turn to a pumpkin! Will catch up with you later.
    (using the dog's blog) Cassie

    ps-I'd watch those pooches for you if I was there!

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes