Boot safety & Hen teaching


Sometimes you can have a sixth sense that something is "off" or not quite right.This was exactly the feeling I had at 5.30 this morning when I was half asleep in bed. It was blowing a gale, so I suddenly thought the door of the shed had blown open, and I dragged myself out of bed, got dressed and went into the kitchen.
The kitchen floor was covered in debris of some strange kind, and right in the middle of the lino was the wet, cold body of one of white ducklings. William was sat under the table, ever slightly cowed. Albert sat defiantly on top of the duckling cage. I couldn't work out what exactly was covering the floor but checked the ducklings immediately. There were only four sat very quietly under their lamp, two had been taken!
I scoured the floor, under the table and in William's bed and could see nothing. I could hear no pipping either, so I presumed that Albert has finally "hooked" himself two ducklings and he and William had finished them off between themselves.
Frantically I checked the debris which was scattered all around, and I was surprised to find that it was in fact ripped rubber! William had literally demolished half of one of my wellington boots, which I had left on the mat by the door.
I picked the boot up and inserted my hand into it. Hiding in the toes was the missing duckling, cold and a bit battered but very much alive. Despite the hiding William had given the duckling's sanctuary, the little chap had survived the night (The valiant duckling is second from the rightin the below photograph...I have christened him Welly)
This morning Sam,a little chap from nearby Meliden came up to learn some basic hen care. As most 11 year old boys, he had already researched his favourite subject at great length, and was a little expert himself in poultry care.
The only thing Sam lacked (before his own hens were to be delivered),was some hands on experience, so this morning he had de-loused, wormed,inspected and medicated a score of the hybrids. Even though the buffs didn't need their feathers trimmed to stop them flying over the fencing, Sam enjoyed catching each one and with only a little hesitation tucked the fat girls under his arm andcut their flight feathers with my kitchen scissors. (Below is a photo of him and Kate Winslett)

By the time his dad picked him up, he had helped clean four of the hen houses,fed and watered the whole field population (including the pigs) and helped move the remaining ducklings into the shed.
He also made a few salient notes about specific health care tips ( he had brought sandwiches, gloves and a notepad and pen with him!) and asked a score of intelligent and appropriate questions during his morning. I found him delightful company.

2 comments:

  1. Happiness Is . . .
    Lovely, thanks for sharing,
    peace for all

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one had me on the edge of my seat. Poor Welly had quite an exciting (& scarey) night. So, I guess Albert was the culprit. It's a cat type of thing.
    When will you put the ducklings outside? They still look very small.
    Sam seems like a fine young man. It's cool that he has such a good work ethic at such a young age.

    Now I have some qq for you: Have either William or Meg ever had skin allergies? Have either chewed on their leg 'til the hair was mostly warn off? This has to do with Hootie, if you haven't guessed. He also (at the age of 11months) still has "accidents" in the house sometimes. He actually lifted his leg on the rocking chair tonight. I don't know if this is normal behavior for a Welsh Terrier or if Hootie is just, well, Hootie. Patrick is really getting upset with him, so I am just the opposite as I feel sorry for the little fellow. Oh, yesterday Hootie wizzed on Pat's leg when he had him our to go potty!! You can answer via email at: cassiejo@juno.com
    I appreciate any light you might shed on this subject. Thx. C.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes