Laughing at yourself

Today I was reminded of the importance of having (and using) a sense of humour. The owner of Alsatian called round for further "discussions" relating to last month's dog attack. He made it very clear that he now didn't believe that his dog was responsible for any damage and although he stood there with a cheque to pay for the hens lost, his whole manner underlined his scepticism of my version of what had in fact happened.
I had the impression that he was a busy businessman, so my "small poultry life" didn't seem to rate highly in his concerns which I can (in the cold light of day) now appreciate, but it was the lack of an apology that really got my goat,
True to form I got angry, which in some ways I regret......... being a little pompous (and just a tad Queenie), I told him to take his cheque and to get lost and to be honest I did find myself disappointed by his lack of concern and poor manners. I told him that If my dogs had caused a problem to his animals then I would have called round the very next day with an apology and perhaps a gift(and not leave the whole thing to drag on for several weeks)..... but that's the problem I always seem to have with people; I always expect them to act as I would..................
Rather dramatically (my parting shot) I repeated several times that I thought that his behaviour was "a very poor show" before I flounced off back into the house, I was ,however, glad that I refused his money.

1 comment:

  1. It takes an undemanding ego, a lack of self-centeredness and a mature sensibility to apologise; something that your neighbour and, as you know, one of my former friends, was unable to do with any genuineness.

    Now I might surprise you here, but it would have been for those reasons alone that I would have actually taken his money, as he will not care how you feel, will not (just like my former friends) spare a minute to reflect on his own behaviour and, sadly, will not give a damn about your pride.

    Money and platitudes are all folk like that are able to give, and all that they are able to value. So it's in that respect that I'd take pleasure in spending his cash, although I understand entirely why you didn't take it.

    Hope you had a nice day, otherwise ;-) Nx

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes