A bit of a mess

One of the art deco sculptures hidden on the back of the Port Authority building

Liverpool is not one of my favourite cities. I do love parts of it (The Liver Buildings,docks,John Lewis,The huge masses of the Cathedral and the wonderful philharmonic pub-with toilets to die for!) but in general terms the commercial centre seems incredibly untidy,somewhat crowded and seemingly unorganised. Of course some 19th and early 20th Century architecture, does shine through the endless rows of Costa Coffee outlets and Topshops, (The Port Authority Building standing in the shadow of the Liver Buildings being a case in point) but generally the whole place has been spoilt by Britain's endless high street culture, which is a dreadful pity.

The new Passport office down on New Hall Street was organised very well, so I was in and out in a matter of minutes.The woman that served me looked terribly depressed, and answered me with typical Liverpudlian deadpan humour when I asked her if she was indeed having a bad day? "I feel bloody ecstatic!" she said flatly with a tiny smile.

I took advantage of the spare time by having a mooch around the dock buildings then enjoyed the neat,calm and white order of the new John Lewis store on South John Street.After coffee and the paper (I people watched with great gusto), I caught the train home again, The day was much more interesting than I thought it would be

1 comment:

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes