Duck update: Little Fin & the "alien" brood

The final egg from the Ebay runner duck eggs hatched this morning, so we are now up to eight in the brood and 14 ducklings in total. The last little chap is rather small and a bit weak, and although I have decided not to individually name the new comers, I have decided to name this runt duckling "Little Fin" Janet Jones (one of my sister's affable despot allotment chums) will adopt a couple of ducklings and will name them for swaps of vegetables and seedlings, which is a bit of nonsense but fun.
His siblings seem to be happy in their crate, even though I did have a small panic early this morning when the house fuses went and I realised I didn't have a spare bulb to heat the nursery.
Ripley and the others from the first brood are quite perky and double the size they were when born. They and Blanche have been a bit stir crazy today, as they have only been outside in their run for an hour or so. It has been colder and rainy today, and strange as it may seem, ducklings must not get too wet until their feathers have developed on their backs.If they do, they can chill very quickly and die.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes