Once

The trouble with musicals is that they live or die on the quality of their musical numbers. The naturistically shot modern musical Once is a case in point, it has just won an academy award for best song ("Falling Slowly"), and has had rave reviews for its musical score, but for me personally, I just didn't enjoy the style of songs sung, and that I guess is pretty important when you are trying so very hard to enjoy a musical.
The film itself reminds me of a sweet version of Lost in Translation (2003) Heart Broken Busker Glen Hansard meets a young Czech big issue seller Markéta Irglová in a Dublin street. The two of them write,rehearse and record several songs together before returning to their original partners but not before they embark on a gentle and platonic love affair.
The leads are likable, the narrative quirky and innovative but the music, for me was not the icing on the cake.
A nice 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes