Edith Piaf-Life in Pink

La Vie En Rose. (Translation in the title) was strangely sold out at Theatre Clwyd this evening! I was a bit naughty, as I did secure the last ticket ( I needed to go out after working since Saturday Morning) Hazel had to take a rain check! not to worry too much, as we are both off to see Jenny Eclair on Sunday. Anyhow back to Miss Piaf! Director Olivier Dahan obviously has a great deal of affection for the tragic French singer as the biopic shrieks of admiration, sympathy and warmth. Marion Cotillard as one would expect, is perfectly stunning in her brittle,meticulous portrayal of Piaf, and she literally breaks your heart when she appears as the life- ravaged older Edith.
I especially loved the scene where a younger Cotillard mourns the loss of the love of her life, boxer Marcel Cerdan (Jean-Pierre Martins), who died in a plane crash en route to the United States. She races hysterically around her apartment then suddenly appears performing on stage ,"living" her tragic love songs in front of a rapt audience. It is a wonderfully camp and effective sequence.
I really enjoyed it

Richard (Chris' Dad) comes tomorrow for a long weekend, so I will be slipping into cook,host and bottle washer for a few days which I am more than happy to do! Chris wants us all to go and see Elizabeth: The Golden Age , which I am happy about but I wonder if Richard would enjoy it? Think we are also going to The Bistro for a meal on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes