another day, another castle


Penrhyn Castle was a revelation today, as the 19th Century folly is quite stunning in its Victorian excesses!
I thought it was going to be heavy and rather Gothic in it's interior decoration, and it was! , but the effort,attention to detail and shear scale of the place is awesome and after a couple of hours exploring the dark brooding interiors I fell in love with the house even more than I did when I first saw Chatsworth House!.

Chris loved the fine silk wallpapers of the bedrooms ( with Queen Victoria's one ton slate bed lurking there) and some of the artwork hanging in the Staterooms ( Van Dyke, Rubins ,Canaletto and Rembrandt) where as Nigel and I loved the servant Kitchen and beautifully restored house keeper's sitting room.

We did not have a huge amount of time to walk
the grounds but we did manage to explore the walled garden which was beautifully set out. It was a nice bookend to a nice weekend, and as Nige got his train back to Sheffield on time, we had enough time to walk the dogs again on the beach

Nige and Chris (posing!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes