Changing your life , "Becoming Jane." and an interesting Gay blog

My back is creaking slightly after several hours on the allotment this morning. The weather was glorious but cold, very cold and the "mass grave" has been extended to fill almost half of my first planned plot. Hopefully I will complete the work tomorrow then get the rotavator out to mulch in Pippa's well rotted manure, thank God that Chris has a ready made shit factory

Fin is officially back to normal after his near death experience only 7 days ago! and has been bouncing around like a mad alec when I was trying to be supportive on the phone to a friend this morning. I have two friends that are both about to change one major aspect of their life is a fairly drastic way. One is planning to move from their home city after fifteen years or so ; the other is leaving a job they hated after 18 years. It was the latter that was having a "wobble" of confidence this morning and I hope I was the supportive voice on the end of the phone that they needed!
Both friends ,I feel are definitely doing the right thing, and although I am biased as I did the BIG LIFE change in 2005, I genuinely support them. I think that there is a potential for some people to be be paralysed into not trying something new when that is exactly what they need to do. You are a long time dead as they say..... When I finally decided to leave nurse management and a city which I loved to embark on the country life, I needed people to believe in my decision and to support it as I knew it was the right thing for me and Chris to try . So to these two friends, all I can say is "way to go!"


Becoming Jane (2007) is an interesting but unsatisfying story of Jane Austin's early life and loves. Although quite beautifull I just did not warm to Anne Hathaway's Jane, and warmth was something missing from the film I think. Filmed in the tones of muddy green and brown of an English winter, the cinematography echoed this absence of light and humour seen in say Sense and Sensibility (1995) and Pride & Prejudice (2005), but I guess the story of Jane herself should reflect the reality of her life rather than the romance of her novels! and that it did. I was just a little disappointed by it. Praise goes to James McAvoy, who was excellent as the smitten Tom Lefroy and the understated Laurence Fox as Jane's first and rather misunderstood suitor.

Had the biggest laugh of 2007 on the way to Llandudno as Janet regaled Chris and I with some of the quotes from a novel she is reading. The heroine of which,when she refused to take part in a certain activity stated bluntly

"I would rather pin my labia to an ant hill!"

The statement took us very much by surprise and I very nearly crashed the car on the A55 when Janet recalled it with a knockout deadpan delivery.

Found an interesting gay themed blog the other day that celebrates gay men and their contribution to the arts, makes fascinating and inteligent reading

http://gayfortoday.blogspot.com/

enjoy

1 comment:

  1. That website is good! I'm not particularly interested in "gay politics", but I had no idea that Yuri Gagarin was apparently gay/bisexual! Nx

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes