Another trip to the vets


I can't believe it........ Finlay has deteriorated overnight and seems to be almost back to his condition of ten days ago. With weakness on his right side,vomiting, symptoms of listlessness and the shakes, he still had enough about him to climb up the stairs this morning and sneak into the bed with me, but I was having non of it and immediately took him to the vet at Caerwys. She said his weakness wasn't as bad as it was, but put him on a drip just to make sure he wasn't dehydrated and decieded to keep him in until she discussed things with the animal hospital. They have been slow at posting through information so I have become an owner- from -Hell and chased everything up myself, including pushing the nurses to get the consultant to liaise with the vet here to direct further care. The "nurses" at the local practice are caring but I must admit when she cheerfully told me that Fin was barking at an Alsatian rather than to discuss specifics of his care I did get rather brusque and pulled nurse rank on her which I never normally do.

Anyhow the upshot is that he has an"atypical" presentation (which means that they are not sure what the hell is going on) and has a low temperature and problems with tissue perfusion as well as hypersensitivity around his face and neck. It sounds like something neuro with some sort of sepsis but who knows, all I know is that we are here all over again. Chris is in London today and tomorrow, which is makes things feel a lot worse. At least the vet has just given him some morphine and says he is settled and comfortable, they are keeping him there tonight.


All I keep thinking of is Kipling's poem The Power of A Dog http://www-hsc.usc.edu/~rneville/dogpoem3.html


"..............Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?"
(pic of Fin,taken with Chris' phone on Sunday)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes