A good read, & friends...

Yesterday caught the train to Sheffield to swap Christmas gifts with Mike and Bev and Maisie, and to catch up with Micky, (I cannot believe I last saw her a year or so ago!). I have started to enjoy train journeys now, and not only for the fact that I am still able to use my student rail card. This journey I finished Hannibal Rising by Thomas Harris.

http://www.hannibalrising.co.uk/?gclid=CNvKsafnlIkCFQGBGgodNy2E5g



Though not as good as Silence of the lambs , the prequel which Chronicles Hannibal Lecter's childhood, is beautifully written, and the interplay between Lady Murasaki (Hannibal's Japanese stepmother) and the teenage serial killer-to-be , is electric and reminds me of the clever banter between Lecter and Clarice Starling. I was not surprised to see that the film of the novel comes out next year. Gong Li (pic) plays the graceful Lady Murasaki.

Sheffield looked lovely and I did like the new neon blue Christmas lights everywhere. The fountains surrounding Midland Station were quite stunning.

I was grateful to see Mike as he has had a few problems recently then raced across town (no taxis down Ecclesall road AT all!!!) to meet Micky. Micky is one of those people that never change in all aspects of the word. I have a photo of her aged 6 and believe it or not she looks exactly the same now!! Anyhow, I had a lovely night, and enjoyed seeing her pictures of her civil ceremony with partner Pam. sadness of the night was the fact that her brother refused to attend their marriage as he has recently become religious and has denounced their relationship after years of apparantly supporting it. Their close relationship has been affected badly by it all and I was upset for both Micky and Pam, who have been a couple for many years now.

Sorting out Christmas this afternoon. Christmas day Janet and Ned are comming to dinner, before that I think we all are trouping to Nephew Pete's house for drinks and games. Going to Andrew and Jayne's (Brother and sister-in-law) on Boxing day after the watching the Flint and Denbigh Hunt. Chris and I have to fit in Nu and Jim if we can too!!! ding dong!!!

1 comment:

  1. I think I'll add that book to my reading list.

    That is too bad about her brother not supporting their relationship. I know its hard.

    Have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes