Can a fat deer be called bariatric?


Had a mixed day today ! went to Abergele Hospital for the annual moving and handling training, and was immediately transported back to my Sheffield Lodge Moor days. Abergele is an old fashioned sanatorium set in lovely grounds, at coffee break I was amazed to be able to walk a mere 10 yards from the car park and actually saw a large deer walking calmly in the woods!

As study days go, the day was fairly uninteresting, but I was intrigued at a new politically correct term being coined by the moving and handling trainers. Apparently patients over 25 stone are now being termed bariatric!!

http://www.independentliving.co.uk/bariatric.html

The timing was interesting as Doris Karloff aka Ann Widdecombe was debating the government efforts to combat obesity on radio 4 this morning, but various statistics discussed by the trainers today was indeed frightening. They stated that GPs in our catchment areas have literally scores of patients over 35 stone!
They are expecting a bariatric "surge" in days to come.................hummmmmmm!

Met a very interesting lady today, a rather butch mission nursing sister from Zimbabwe. She was visiting her mother in Prestatyn and was doing some bank work over here to update her nursing practice. We had a nice chat about Hyenas eating her rubbish and ground pigs scoffing her potatoes! and she confided that she couldn't believe how rude people are over here! It made me think of the Zimbabwen nurses I worked with in Sheffield. They had a stillness about them, which made them appear calm and rather benign, yet had a formal courtesy in the way they interacted with everyone. I still miss working with Edith Marimbirie, a middle aged former midwife, who laughed at everything and who held your hand as she spoke to you. She provided my spinal ward staff with a certain balance.

Dug over the new garden when I got home! then we had bangers and mash for tea ( with onion gravy), which was lovely. Chris is curled up on one couch and me and the kids (Finlay, Maddie and Meg) are crammed onto the other ( thats nice!)

Am sort of watching my new dvd of Poseidon on my computer, as I am typing this ! and am surprised of just how potentially good it is! pity it was ruined by bad editing! Josh Lucas is lovely to look at too!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes