Busted


Well my attempt at my " Guess what I'm doing?" Blog entry was as successful as serving a pork chop at a Jewish wedding...
I'm on the way to London to see Nu and to go to see Mathew Bourne's ballet Cinderella which will be great fun.
As I am catching up with other blogs , I was reminded just how unintentionally funny regional television could be and when answering a sort of meaning of life question on one blog I resorted to a punchline I heard a 100 year old lady gave on the Yorkshire calendar tv news programme many moons ago now.
Slumped in an arm chair in the obligatory nursing home day room was a slightly vague looking old crone surrounded by grinning careworkers all wearing party hats
The over made up anchor woman shoved a microphone into the old lady's face and asked the question non of us really wants to hear
" what advice would you give to the viewers to live a long a happy life Elsie?" 
Elsie Dead panned the camera for a moment , then said loudly and clearly
" NEVER STAND UP IN A CANOE!" 

28 comments:

  1. Was she Canadian? Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous comment!

    Should I be lucky enough to live to 100 (and keep most of my marbles along with a reasonable amount of health), my reply to such a question will be to keep having as much sex as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many years ago when a student nurse on a geriatric ward, I asked a patient 'Mavis' if she had any regrets in her life, she replied ' yes, not getting enough grass stains on the back of my skirt through rumpy-pumpy'. Sweet comment (she was happily married apparently).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very funny .. mine would be never get into a canoe to begin with !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was touring a congressman through an endangered area one day, and he did just that. LOL
    Have a ball at the ballet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And cheers to that!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup, that just about sums it up nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you know the definition of a Canadian is someone who knows how to make love in a canoe? We are all immensely proud of our cultural skill.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a lovely time at the ballet tonight dear friend. (I had a good day today). xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah...not so vague then. I'll take that advice any day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Clearly the real advice she was giving was to have a sense of humour!

    ReplyDelete
  12. HA-HA-HA! I bet they were expecting a stereotypical response - something like "Be moderate in all you do and go to bed early" or "Eat plenty of fruit and don't smoke cigarettes or drink strong liqueur".

    ReplyDelete
  13. As a Canadian I can heartily endorse that bit of advice!
    Have a lovely time at the ballet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was cancelled just as we sat in our seats# boo hoo

      Delete
    2. Ah, that's a shame, John. Refund? Re-scheduled? Will you post about it? (silly question, that!)

      Delete
  14. Anonymous8:57 pm

    Well, if that’s all it takes, i’m golden!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous9:53 pm

    Good reply to an annoying question.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Our local tv news reporter just asked a 105 year old lady he r secret to a long life and she said, "a piece of good dark chocolate every day and a glass of red wine every evening". I should live to be 150

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a good quote, used by an American potter who died a year or so ago at 105...potting to the end and making fantastic work...and beautiultoo

      Delete
  17. choose the right parents and keep breathing

    ReplyDelete
  18. good for her!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the laugh. I always loved the little tid-bit of gossip that the Queen Mum had a gin and tonic every day. And I have read that Jane Goodall enjoys a tot of whiskey every evening, in tribute to her family.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes