Their Finest

Claflin and Arterton


Sometimes all you need is a good solid movie to entertain you.
It doesn't have to be sparkling, worthy or great.
It just needs to be satisfying.
Their Finest is such a movie.
Set at the height of the war in bomb torn London, it tells the story of Catrin Pugh ( Gemma Arterton) a fledgling writer who is employed by the Government's propaganda department to co-write an "uplifting" movie script.
Of course the path of such an endeavour is not an easy one as Catrin has to negotiate sexism, a temperamental diva in the shape of aging actor  Ambrose Hilliard ( Bill Nighy) and antagonism from a flawed but terribly attractive boss Sam Claflin. But with some plucky charm, the help of a
wisecracking lesbian manager ( a statuesque Rachel Sterling) and a fortunate meeting with two movie struck Kent twins who failed to reach the stranded Dunkirk troops in their father's fishing boat) all comes good in tbe end.
Their Finest looks all rather lovely. The stars are fabulous in their forties outfits, the backdrop of the bombing lends a certain drama to the proceedings ( though, in my opinion not nearly enough) and Nighy brings his usual and very welcome laconic charm and humour to his comic relief.
Arterton is rather good too as the sweet and not-so-innocent Catrin but the film is really dominated by Claflin who underplays his role as the bad tempered senior writer , eventually softening to Catrin's charms with a shy smile!
Their Finest is worth a visit. It's it's not a fantastic movie but it an IS entertaining one.
7/10

21 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this one. Always nice to view a quality little love story.

    Julie q

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started off wondering why they gave the characters such unbelievable names, then I realised that they were the actor's real names. Hey Ho...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a nice diversion

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will do my best to find it and see it .. one of my favorite actors is Bill Nighy ... love that man ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I shall dodge this one. Not my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I want to see this one! I love anything to do with the second world war.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes that is all you need. A nice interesting movie.
    Plus for me one with Bill Nighy is a plus.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will look for this one, it sounds charming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:18 pm

    My sort of movie. Attractive Sam Clafin. Off to google then.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's on our list - and as winter has arrived with a vengence - from 17 degrees yesterday to 5.2 with a wind-chill factor making is about zero - I think a film would be a good idea, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Only 12 comments after all these hours? I wonder what you said to upset everyone. You had better start replying to comments like you always promise to try to do... very hard...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, sir. I hope we can get it here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that this film is still in the cinemas here, although the Tribeca Film Festival premiers are getting all the press. Thank you for your review. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is coming to my local next week, I am looking forward to it.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  15. It hasn't reached us yet, but we would for certain see it, we love costume and historyfilms and we adore Bill Nighy. The walking dead you can keep, I'm afraid, but otherwise we sometimes share a taste in movies. What a lovely and adorable sight out of your bedroom window, John, I would like to bring that along. Thank you for all these wonderful tales of Trelawnyd daily life!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just to let you know, J.G., that coming round from my second bout of flu in a mere four months, which has knocked me flat yet again, I saw your comment on my own blog on this film and have acknowledged it there. Now, back to bed again.......

    ReplyDelete
  17. Adding this to my "must see" list now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 'm looking forward to seeing this one.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes