The Rocket


I went to see my first Laos based film tonight
Ok it was made by an Australian documentary filmmaker ( Kim Mordaunt) but the film couldn't be more further away from Australian culture than I am to understanding a woman's erogenous zones?
The Rocket is a gentle, low key affair, set in a dirt poor and historically war ravaged rural Laos.
Ten year old Alho  (Sitthiphon Disamoe) -a child thought to be cursed from birth by being a surviving twin- is relocated from his village with his grieving father and bad tempered grandmother. They team up with a James Brown loving drunk and  his precociously mature 9 year old niece and after a few ragged adventures, enter a local rocket competition to raise funds for a new home.
Think of a far Eastern version of Local Hero and you'll know where I'm coming from. 
Sweet natured and a little meandering.....this movie is a  harmless way of passing two hours in a deserted welsh art house cinema
Incidentally the  lead child actor ( Disamoe) was a truly talented find.....and is the spit of Chris's
nephew Leo.
7/10

22 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this type of movie. I will look for it in my area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must watch for that one over here, although I will probably have to Mr google it to see where it is showing.
    By the way John I have just started reading Going Gently. I could not get it at our local library but bought it from the Book Depository. I am finding it hard to put down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these "small" films. Just a moment in time.
    I will keep a watch out for it. We have a great Independent Theater.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to see that film. Thanks for alerting me to its existence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so seldom get to see a foreign film, it's almost pitiful. You have to remember where I live...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's on Netflix (DVD only though I think)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know any films were made in Laos. I guess it takes an Australian to get 'er done.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry about the deleted comment, I had weird things going on with my security...something about setting cookies. But I was just going to say that film looks fun, and sweet...kind of like cookies, yum.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Artist films seldom get released in theaters in Calif., and the small theaters are closing down for lack of funds. Will have to look it up and see if can be found on line.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The word 'Laos' send shivers down my spine. A friend's son visited there, and was never heard of again. He literally disappeared. Not that that has any bearing on your film!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Drat! It's been and gone from this area (only two screenings). Anyway, win some. lose some.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't really like films apart from the Thomas Crown affair (with Pierce Brosnan) and a few others. I do like the sound of this one though. Something different.

    ReplyDelete
  16. sounds ok as long as i got popcorn sandwich ho and scotch egg pork pie and a flask of tea ok i am a bit common but hay ho happy

    ReplyDelete
  17. give them a plate of rice and they shall be happy. ha ha.

    :0p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to ask you to explain your comment Beatrix, but sadly, the intent seems obvious, the thinking ignorant , the impact offensive & the whole thing uncalled for.

      Delete
  18. I absolutely loved "Local Hero", so this film should suit me to a T

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for another interesting & informative film review John. & I've added Th.e Rocket to my list.of film's worth seeing. This sounds like just the kind of film I like to watch on a rainy Sunday afternoon. Glad to see "Noah" didn't make you swear off going to the movies.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes