Police Beat in Unalaska

Now, the one thing that I love about blogs is the way you suddenly are able to grab a glimpse into someone's life and experiences.
Now I know that everything is subjective, and you only really get to know what people want or need to reveal, nevertheless that snapshot of others lives and experiences remains powerful and dare I say, rather addictive .
I must thank Ina who sent me an email from Alaska. She noted that I enjoyed "Chopper Coppers" on tv (I know, I know..I have not missed the sexual connotations here.....but I must admit I am now slightly addicted to the Australian reality cop show The Recruits!) anyhow Ina sent me a link to read. It is called POLICE BEAT which is located on a local advertiser website of the city of Unalaska and is a list of the police activity within the city's limits
Now Unalaska is (and I am quoting from the city's website here)Unalaska, the 11th largest city in Alaska, is a bustling community of about 4,000 residents located along the Aleutian Chain, approximately 800 miles southwest of Anchorage. Dutch Harbor, the official name of the city's port, is often applied to the portion of the City of Unalaska located on Amaknak Island, which is connected by bridge to the rest of the community on Unalaska Island. Unalaska's economy is based on commercial fishing, fish processing, fleet services, and transportation

The link is
http://www.arctic.net/~veda/index_files/Page374.html

I found it an amusing read and so typical of a rural and isolated community...my favourite entry was this wry comment:Suspicious Person/Activity – Officer was advised that several men looked ready to rumble outside the Harbor View bar. An officer contacted the men, all of whom were loud and intoxicated but not in any way belligerent.

Like I said , a fascinating snapshot into other peoples' lives

11 comments:

  1. For a while i read the blog of a man who was a first mate on a container ship, it was fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could just do with a month there....with a chopper copper! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You put it so well, John, "a fascinating snapshot into other peoples' lives". What draws me to your blog is your charm, of course, but also the glimpses of your lush garden, the fowls, the old stone wall. It's beautiful here too, but it's a harsh, stark beauty. It's two different worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always thought that the ideal way to travel would be to go somewhere new and live for several months. That way, you'd get to know the people, and all of the nooks and crannies of the place that you were staying in.

    Blogs, in a way, let you do that without leaving the responsibilities that we all have. I really appreciate the opportunity to get these small glimpses into what life is like in other places.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, I like you love to get a glimpse in the lives and surroundings of my blog friends. From Wales to Montana to Washington to Texas to Florida, to Australia...it's like going on trips daily, only without having to take your shoes off at the airport.
    And so different...mater/tomah-to...clay/rich black dirt...heat and humidity/cool gray skies...rock walls/vinyl siding...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a form of learning, I think, for me at least, that I need to know what's happening out there. I really enjoy the posts where everything is different. I don't think I would be interested in the neighbor down the road (for an example) I know what their area looks like, I know how often the cops show up, and they get an extraordinary amount of "company". I love figuring out what some are actually saying, it's all English, but the slang etc is so much different. If not for that insidious movie... I would not know what "shagged" meant.

    I, honest to God, thought someone was pulling the wool, when they said "Unalaska" What a stupid, made-up name, but there it is and it's beautiful!

    Who'd a thunk?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just popping in to say hello from a even smaller rural, not in town but, on the outskirts (13 miles) chicken farm. LOL

    Can you see my knickers on the clothes line?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loud and intoxicated? What else is there to do?
    ~Randy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am hooked on the quirky Police Beat entries. The writer presents the activities in an entertaining manner..... sometimes the entries in the Police Beat are printed in the Anchorage Daily News.

    I have never been to Unalaska. Don't plan to go there any time soon either..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree you put in words why I guess we all read blogs LOL...and yep it can surely be addictive...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm reading...give me time to digest...actually give me a bone to chew on ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes