Blizzard

I took the dogs to a cold but bright beach at 10.30am. After picking up the ducks' veg from town we were followed up the valley from the coast by a wall of clouds and sleet and by the time we reached the village the blizzard was in full force. Literally in seconds everything was covered in a thick blanket of snow
Most of the hens scattered themselves into the hen houses, so I only had to carry the somewhat confused turkeys into their shed then went hunting for Belle and Nonnie in the graveyard. I found the pair sat in the doorway of the Church and both followed me back to their hen house ( only after I waved a few pieces of cheap white bread at them). It is a long time since I have seen the weather change so quickly.Strangely enough the cold has prompted the hens to increase their laying! 30 eggs this afternoon (3 eggs from the buffs!!! their first!!!!)
Albert looks a little better today. His leg is, however still hot to the touch.

One of the black hookers braving the cold

3 comments:

  1. You have such a great way with words and I'm enjoying your pictures too. Like an illustrated storybook! Thanks. How much snow did you end up with? When we left N.Idaho we had over 5 feet on the ground. Thank goodness for all wheel drive vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Britain does not "do" snow
    we don't have the huge levels of drifts that you always have in the US....
    when we have it, the whole country comes to a halt.

    the snow at the cottage was gone by morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing about your pair of hens at the graveyard ... I would love to see a picture of that sometime.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes