Eleanor and Marianne
I own the fact that I adored Ang Lee’s 1995 adaptation , with the gloriously amusing and heartbreaking Emma Thompson leading the charge. Of course Thompson was far too old for the role but she made it her own , as did Alan Rickman as the weary Colonel Brandon, an unlikely suitor to Kate Winslet’s Marianne.
It would be unfair of me to list all what was bad in this recent remake by Georgia Oakley, suffice to say that cinematographer Arnaud Poitier chose to film the whole piece with drab subdued colours, the antithesis of Lee’s Chocolate box version.
Colonel Brandon
I shall however underline what I DID like about this version .
The character of Marianne ( played by Esmé Creed Miles) was more flighty and fickle than Winslet’s Cupid’s bow version, I believed it more when her affections changed towards Colonel Brandon ( played rather well by the Norwegian actor ( Herbert Nordrum) and I loved how Nordrum gave the Colonel a sudden rush of temper and menace towards the sneering Willoughby( Frank Dillane), it made him rather dangerous and ever so sexy, unlike his 1995’s character)
Mrs Jennings
Fiona Shaw recreated the wonderfully overblown Elizabeth Spriggs ( Mrs Jennings) wonderfully and gave this film its only real humour which was unfortunate as Fanny Dashwood, mr Palmer and Sir John were great comic asides in the “ original”
I enjoyed it, I must say It was worthy but a touch bland ,and I must also admit the choreography at the ball was abysmal if not bizarre .
Bring back Thompson I say




Ah, memories! Yes, Emma Thompson's return, please and thank you!
ReplyDeleteHugs!
I also love the 1995 film. Emma Thompson's age didn't matter because she played Elinor so beautifully that it allowed us to engage in the willing suspension of disbelief (Samuel Taylor Coleridge). I'm sorry to learn the colors are drab. That's a mistake. I'll see it when I have the chance, but I'm sure I'll say, That's not as good as when Ang Lee directed.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Janie
Emma Thompson is and will always be my favorite actress.
ReplyDelete'It would be unfair of me to list all that was bad...' Oh, I did enjoy that transition from the previous paragraph. No one can replace Rickman as Colonel Brandon.
ReplyDeleteAlan Rickman is certainly missed.
ReplyDeleteSubdued lighting is all too popular. I remember when filming The Duallists, we never knew what time of day it was. When filming dark moody interiors, it was often bright sunshine outside, and when we had floodlights coming through the windows we were often shocked to find that it was actually dark outside.
ReplyDeleteI guess every filmmaker thinks their version is an improvement on the last. Not always true!
ReplyDeleteBTW did you see that there's a three part Christmas special of the Other Bennett Sister? I really enjoyed the first series. They say they're not making any more, but we'll watch this space!
You really should review films for the papers or a news website because you really make it good and funny and clear.
ReplyDeleteI loved this line: "the antithesis of Lee’s Chocolate box version. "
Emma Thompson can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned.
ReplyDeleteAdore your movie reviews and often color whether or not i will go to the movies to see something... I had no real desire to see this movie to begin with though... I like the version you like.. i really wish they would stop doing remakes......hugs! deb
ReplyDeleteI wish they'd stop doing "remakes", too. Have they no imaginations of their own?
DeleteHugs!
I suppose I shall read it rather.
ReplyDelete