Dear Tom - The Germans

A funny day….the eye clinic this morning with a new, perfectly polite and precise German Doctor who was a dream . I may eventually go blind in my right eye but I made sure she knew her bedside manner was  exemplary. I came home , made more beef stew and completed some of my counselling tax returns

Hey ho

 Now Operation Mincemeat seems to be the slow burning musical winner in the west End and on Broadway .Based upon the British wartime ruse of tricking the Germans of the date and place of the invasion, it has MI5’s aging spinster Hester Leggart’s chatty letter to her fictitious boyfriend Tom which was placed in a corpse’s uniform pocket to give credibility to him and rank.

The letter has been crafted into a song which is possibly one of the most moving songs about loss and grief and war ever written, I hope you enjoy it 



Speaking of Germans my friend The German is in Austria 
I asked him to reenact Julie Andrew’s famous Sound of Music spin for me


And he did …..

50 comments:

  1. Doctors should be praised when it is due.

    Love the re-enactment..and the jumper!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:12 pm

      He’s very your type , and like you ,a, bit “cack”. handed

      Keith.

      Xx

      Delete
  2. Oh, the Operation Mincemeat song was a tear jerker and I thank you for that.
    Wonder how many people have tried to duplicate Julie Andrews' actions on that hilltop?! Your German friend lacked only the skirt!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can you be in the Austrian alps and NOT break in "The Sound of Music"???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. πŸ₯‚πŸ₯‚πŸ₯‚πŸ₯‚πŸ₯‚πŸ₯‚πŸΈπŸΈπŸΈπŸΈ

      Delete
  4. Anonymous11:55 pm

    I am glad you like your new doctor. That's always a good start.
    Your friend does a good Julie Andrews twirl. Good times in the Alps sounds great to me.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ₯‚

      Delete
  5. Your German is a good sport, and cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:46 am

    Your German friend is delightful!
    Sydney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is in real life , but would hate me saying this

      Delete
  7. Well, being an Army brat, sister and mom, I can tell you for sure that the song was written by someone who knows first hand what it's like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s subtle and incredibly British

      Delete
  8. The song from Mincemeat brought tears to my eyes. How many similar letters have been written during war? Too many.
    Your German friend does a mean twirl, and I can see why you're drawn to him! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. The old film 'The Man who Never Was' has always been a favourite. THAT letter really did change the war in our favour.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yorkshire Liz6:40 am

    What a wonderful entry, John! Such a Going Gently classic. Your German friend is a delight, and clearly also has a thing for good jumpers! Fun fact; filming that spin took ages, as the downdraft from the helicopter blades kept blowing Julie Andrews off her feet.
    The Operation Mincemeat song is beautiful terjerking and so terribly terribly, British. Thank you for sharing both delights today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I’ve bought tickets

      Delete
    2. Yorkshire Liz8:58 am

      I should hope so, it's a wonderful and totally eccentric show. Try and catch the performance - or the recording of the cast recording - of the original Hester, Jak Malone, singing Dear Bill, and his wonderful speech upon winning the Tony on Broadway. All on YouTube. You ill enjoy it all.

      Delete
  11. What a good sport your German friend is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ™πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ™πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘€πŸ˜€πŸ˜‡

      Delete
  12. Love the spin πŸ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. πŸ‘€πŸ‘€πŸ‘€πŸ‘€πŸ‘€πŸ‘€πŸ‘€πŸ™

      Delete
  13. Good docs are a rare find. The German looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good to find a nice new doctor, there are lots about but they are all so rushed and overworked these days aren't they. The German is a really good sport. I hope he entertained some of the locals with his spinning, as much as he did you and us. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

      Delete
  15. I am beginning to see what it is about this German you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ™

      Delete
  16. Anonymous1:18 pm

    Clearly your friend is a student of the Julie Andrews canon.

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad that you got a nice eye doctor and that you told her that. How sad for the people who have loved ones in any war. Your German is a good sport and the hills are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous1:45 pm

    More more ! I am so disappointed. There should have been singing and dancing. Fritz is just fabulous.!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lolπŸŒˆπŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ

      Delete
  19. He looks like a dear fun teddy bear. XO

    ReplyDelete
  20. It’s uncanny. Had you not said anything, I would have been sure that was Julie Andrews.

    ReplyDelete
  21. "The German", what a cutie and a very good sport. My mind must be frazzled bec of ''impending doom storm''
    prep here...aka just another rainy day, bec I didn't understand a word of the movie/ play/ song review. I ll try later after more bungeeing, lol. PS Glad the Doctor was pleasing, they so rarely are.

    lizzy x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous11:58 am

    I am so lucky to have a very gentle and efficient eye doctor. I have been getting my injections for over a year now and they are keeping my eye stable. I only have to go every seven weeks now. Your friend makes a very credible Julie, so fun. Austria and Germany are such beautiful countries. Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  23. good for him I say! It was a fun sight.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes