Blogger is delicate, at most obsolete and looking at old posts I’ve realised that many of the old photographs have just disappeared. I’m mortified, totally mortified, as happy times at the Ukrainian Village , holidays in Australia, my wedding, family memories have all gone.
Trolling around Facebook archives I’ve found some , but many of the older ones have been lost forever
Ive explored the net and have started to save a few hastily retrieved ones on Instagram
It’s a big job……
A photo of my brother and siblings not long before he died 2012
Oh, no! I sort of assumed that content remained up there, somewhere, forever. I hope you can retrieve those photos before they disappear. I don't envy you the task. xx
ReplyDeleteI contacted them and nothing
DeleteGood luck getting an answer Squire. I understand google has but all given up with updates and changes at Blogger, which is why many, many people's readers aren't updating with the current blog post anymore either. Some of the blogs I read are sometimes up to two days behind. And support? What's that? LOL
DeleteIt's so nice to see this family photo with your brother in it and I'm very sorry he's been gone for so long.
ReplyDeleteHope you can easily find the other missing pictures.
Big hugs!
This blog entry hit me hard , too fucking hard squire!….before my mother died she threw out many family photos which I know was therapy for her, but after she and my Papa had died , I so needed them
DeleteI still do
I didn’t know what your brother looked like ( I’m presuming he’s in front)
You look very different
Lee
Yes he died of motor neurone , xx
DeleteI hadn't realised that people put photos straight onto blogs rather than from photo files. Hope you manage to get them back.
ReplyDeleteI did thinking they were safe
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
Deletetypo/ repost : Photo files can be lost too; I lost all my digital photo content prior to 2014, completely lost.
DeleteBlogger and blogging have become, as you say, almost obsolete---but I love the format, love writing and posting pics, and esp love the friends who visit me at the beach. I ve been blogging since 2009. I did notice older photos are gone, though sometimes can be retrieved by various trial and error ways to open. [copy blank and paste on your monitor/ ''open in a ne w window'/ etc. The always magical Force a Restart.
ReplyDeleteIn general it's sad how lost photos will be now that they exist only digitally and will be lost. No leafing thru albums, enjoying memories.
Consider a separate photo hard drive and save special pics as you find them, or post them?
When I looked back around 2010/ 09, you are only missing outside postings, esp videos from an external source. Try looking on a different device, esp your phone, then resave to your phone photo app if the old pics appear for you.
ReplyDeleteI’ve just gone back to your very first posts 2006 and it seems to show all your photos, I’m sure you’ve already done this but I hope this helps xx
ReplyDeleteTweetart
oh the pain, I fear this is a common occurrence. I hear again and again 'do not pitch your tent in someone's yard' viz. what we write on blogger, WP, FB etc. well they aren't really ours and could disappear at a moment.
ReplyDeleteI know the feeling and was commenting on the subject recently to my 25 year old niece. She promptly said "it's your fault for not backing them up to the cloud". Wow, that's me told I guess!
ReplyDeleteVery distressing indeed!
ReplyDeleteI thought that once pictures had been posted on Blogger, they were there for ever. Why would they destroy them?
ReplyDeleteMany of your old entries (including pictures) are available on the Internet Archive. See, for example, this snapshot of your July 8, 2015 post: https://web.archive.org/web/20150713145015/https://disasterfilm.blogspot.com/2015/07/beach-holidays.html
ReplyDeletethank u xx
Deletehttps://web.archive.org/web/20100907090121/http://disasterfilm.blogspot.com/
ReplyDeleteIt is worrying. I checked back on my first blogging year of 2009 and everything is still there.
ReplyDeleteIt is tempting to make a hard copy!
Yes! My partner had continued compiling old fashioned photo albums. By the time he died, in January, there were 27 large ones! Understandably, they have gone to his family. We were together only 26yrs and the photos cover their childhoods and, older ones, their ancestors. They are a wonderful legacy.
DeleteI lost all my old photo's too, through mine were destroyed by my first husband out of spite.
ReplyDeleteThat’s the pits. I had a similar experience with videos I posted directly to blogger in my early days. I love seeing this photo and you and your family.
ReplyDeleteHow healthy and well-supported your brother looked that day, making victory signs in the face of death.
ReplyDeleteOlder Blogger photos moved to Google's backend storage systems—transitioning from Picasa Web Albums to the now-defunct Album Archive, and finally into the built-in Blogger Media Manager or Google Takeout archives.
ReplyDeleteBlogger Media Manager: Google stores legacy and active blog images inside your account's media library, accessible directly through your dashboard.Google Takeout: Complete historical image libraries from older posts can be exported using Google Takeout under the Blogger service data
https://www.blogger.com › mediamanager › albums
ReplyDelete